Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> on 2002/08/09 11:18:49 UTC

[cvs 2.0.4] roadmap?

Team,

Currently the implementation of modules in 2.1 and 2.0.4 differ in
that in 2.1 they switched from using the request object to using the
objectModel. Obviosely, all components that make use of them are
affected by it. This makes it more difficult than necessary to keep
both branches up to date.

Since it affects only scratchpad in 2.0.4 and 2.1 is planned for 2003,
I'd like to sync this aspect in both branches again. Objections?

As a sidenote, if 2.1 will take some while as it seems, should we
consider to backport some 'cool' features? I volunteer to backport
usage of InputModules for the compiled sitemap. Mmh, would help to
have them moved out of scratchpad for that.

	Chris.
--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: [cvs 2.0.4] roadmap?

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 09.Aug.2002 -- 11:27 AM, Per Kreipke wrote:
> > As a sidenote, if 2.1 will take some while as it seems, should we
> > consider to backport some 'cool' features? I volunteer to backport
> > usage of InputModules for the compiled sitemap. Mmh, would help to
> > have them moved out of scratchpad for that.
>
> Please, would make sitemaps infinitely more readable than having to include
> RequestActions, etc in every matcher.

So, give it a shot! (remember: _compiled_ sitemap, not _treeprocessor_)

Silvain, could you sync' treeprocessor as well?

	Chris.

Re: [cvs 2.0.4] roadmap?

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 11.Aug.2002 -- 06:34 PM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> > From: Christian Haul [mailto:haul@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de]
> >
> > Hi, it looks like I screwed up :-(
>
> Don't know what you are talking about! :)
>
> Checkout shows 7 files:

That's good to hear!

Note to myself: Don't use http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi to check
cvs operations. It drove me nuts yesterday night.

Thanks for cheering me up :-)

OK, I believe I've now finished the moving. At least clean checkouts
look good while viewcvs.cgi doesn't.

	Chris.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Re: [cvs 2.0.4] roadmap?

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Hi, it looks like I screwed up :-(

At least for reason unknown to me I don't manage to see files which I wanted to
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-cocoon2/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/modules/database/?only_with_tag=HEAD

Re: [cvs 2.0.4] roadmap?

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 09.Aug.2002 -- 08:47 AM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> > From: Christian Haul [mailto:haul@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de]
>
> So, why not port stable features? Unless, of course, you state that
> input modules API is not stable yet.

Vadim, this is a thumbs up, alright :-)

	Chris.

Re: [cvs 2.0.4] roadmap?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Christian Haul wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > Christian Haul wrote:
<snip/>
> > > As a sidenote, if 2.1 will take some while as it seems, should we
> > > consider to backport some 'cool' features? I volunteer to backport
> > > usage of InputModules for the compiled sitemap. Mmh, would help to
> > > have them moved out of scratchpad for that.
> > >
> > Hmm, I'm a little bit against this - as I see the problem that we
> > start backporting more and more and finally have no differences
> > between 2.1 and 2.0.x.
>
> So? Really, why shouldn't 2.0.x evolve into 2.1 some day? At least if we
> don't put unstable or incompatible features in it. Having a development
> branch and a release branch is IMHO better than scratchpad :-) And the
> linux kernel does that quite well.

This spurred me to scan the archives. I remembered that we
had discussion about this in 2001-12 where it seemed that
branch management was going to become easier.
-----
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=100857610623046
Re: patch politics
<quote who="Carsten">
Hm, I hope that not the whole HEAD is experimental. It *should* be very
similar to the 2.0 branch, except for some experimental components.

We created the 2.0 branch some month ago exactly for this experimental
stuff which is now much better located in the scratchpad directory.
So we really should move all experimental code of 2.1 into scratchpad,
sync 2.1 with 2.0 and then only use the HEAD. If we than make a 2.0.1
very fast we can forget about the 2.0 branch.
</quote>
-----

RE: [cvs 2.0.4] roadmap?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Christian Haul [mailto:haul@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de]
>
> On 09.Aug.2002 -- 11:53 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> >
> > Christian Haul wrote:
> > > Since it affects only scratchpad in 2.0.4 and 2.1 is planned for
2003,
> > > I'd like to sync this aspect in both branches again. Objections?
> > >
> > Go for it!
>
> OK :-)
>
> > > As a sidenote, if 2.1 will take some while as it seems, should we
> > > consider to backport some 'cool' features? I volunteer to backport
> > > usage of InputModules for the compiled sitemap. Mmh, would help to
> > > have them moved out of scratchpad for that.
> > >
> > Hmm, I'm a little bit against this - as I see the problem that we
> > start backporting more and more and finally have no differences
> > between 2.1 and 2.0.x.

Except the point that this is not possible because we have at least
couple of quite radical changes...

Re: [cvs 2.0.4] roadmap?

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 09.Aug.2002 -- 11:53 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Christian Haul wrote:
> > Since it affects only scratchpad in 2.0.4 and 2.1 is planned for 2003,
> > I'd like to sync this aspect in both branches again. Objections?
> >
> Go for it!

OK :-)

Re: [cvs 2.0.4] roadmap?

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
> And I think 2003 is way too late for the 2.1 release, we should
> focus on the important things and get 2.1 before winter. Even if
> that means moving some things back into the scratchpad.

I agree that a 2003 release for 2.1 is rather late.

Perhaps a 2.11 branch should be created soon if we want a
2.1 release "out before winter" (we are talking northen hemisphere right :-P).

Regards,
Michael Melhem

Re: [cvs 2.0.4] roadmap?

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
> And I think 2003 is way too late for the 2.1 release, we should
> focus on the important things and get 2.1 before winter. Even if
> that means moving some things back into the scratchpad.

+1

RE: [cvs 2.0.4] roadmap?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

RE: [cvs 2.0.4] roadmap?

Posted by Per Kreipke <pe...@onclave.com>.
> As a sidenote, if 2.1 will take some while as it seems, should we
> consider to backport some 'cool' features? I volunteer to backport
> usage of InputModules for the compiled sitemap. Mmh, would help to
> have them moved out of scratchpad for that.

Please, would make sitemaps infinitely more readable than having to include
RequestActions, etc in every matcher.

Per