Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Dennis Berger <de...@metaspinner.de> on 2007/03/14 13:26:52 UTC

memory consumption on large indices

Do I have to keep something in mind to do searching on large indices?
I actually have an index with a size of 1.8gb. I have indexed 1.5
million items from Amazon.
How much memory do I have to give to the jvm?
As a sidenote I have to tell you that I optimized the index so it's one
segment file.
Do I need to have 1.8gb memory available for the jvm?

regards,
-Dennis

Re: memory consumption on large indices

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.
When your app gets a java.lang.OutOfMemory exception.

--
Ian.

Posted by Dennis Berger <db...@bsdsystems.de>.
Ian Lea schrieb:
> No, you don't need 1.8Gb of memory.  Start with default and raise if
> you need to?
how do I know when I need it?
> Or jump straight in at about 512Mb.
>

> --
> Ian.
>

> On 3/14/07, Dennis Berger <de...@metaspinner.de> wrote:
>> Do I have to keep something in mind to do searching on large indices?
>> I actually have an index with a size of 1.8gb. I have indexed 1.5
>> million items from Amazon.
>> How much memory do I have to give to the jvm?
>> As a sidenote I have to tell you that I optimized the index so it's one
>> segment file.
>> Do I need to have 1.8gb memory available for the jvm?
>>
>> regards,
>> -Dennis

Dennis Berger
BSDSystems
Eduardstrasse 43b
20257 Hamburg

Phone: +49 (0)40 54 00 18 17
Mobile: +49 (0) 179 123 15 09
E-Mail: db@bsdsystems.de

Re: memory consumption on large indices

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Patton <tp...@dealcatcher.com>.
I'm searching a 20GB index and my searching JVM is allocated 1Gig.
However, my indexing app only had 384mb availible to it, which means you
can get away with far less.  I believe certain index tables will need to
be swapped in and out of memory though so it may not search as quickly.

With a 1.8gig index you could try the jvm default (64megs) and see how
it works.

Tim