Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Justin Workman <ju...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/06 18:17:14 UTC

Implications of running multiple topologies without isolation

I am trying to understand the implications of running multiple topologies
on a single cluster without using the isolation scheduler. The way this
appears to work, is isolation at the machine level and not the worker
level.

Our issue right now is that we only have 5 machines to work with. We have
enough resources to run multiple workers per machine, but do not feel
comfortable running each topology on fewer than all 5 machines.

So the main questions are, 1) what issues do I risk running into if I run
multiple topologies on a single cluster with out the isolation scheduler,
or 2) is there a way to isolate at the worker level, ie; each worker
handles tasks for a single topology?

Thanks
Justin

Re: Implications of running multiple topologies without isolation

Posted by Nathan Leung <nc...@gmail.com>.
1) a worker can spawn any number of threads, so you can possibly run into
standard shared resources issues (CPU, network, disk, etc).  RAM is not as
big of a problem since each worker gets a fixed amount.

2) a worker is spawned for a particular topology; it only execute
spout/bolt tasks for the topology to which it is assigned.

Posted by Lin Zhao <li...@groupon.com>.
Try storm on mesos for isolation.

http://mesosphere.io/learn/run-storm-on-mesos/

--
Lin Zhao

3101 Park Blvd, Palo Alto, CA 94306

Re: Implications of running multiple topologies without isolation

Posted by Justin Workman <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Derek Dagit <de...@yahoo-inc.com>.