Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Seth Milder <mr...@physics.gmu.edu> on 2005/04/12 20:55:09 UTC

Apache2 Authentication with Coyote Connector

Hi list,

We have a site where Apache is authenticating the users, thus setting
the REMOTE_USER variable and then forwarding the request to Tomcat
5.0.30 via mod_jk 1.2.6. The application deployed on tomcat is
configured (in web.xml) to require BASIC authentication for users who
connect directly to tomcat via the HTTP connector. We have set the
attribute tomcatAuthentication="false", but this seems to have no effect
on the Coyote Connector. As a result, the users are prompted twice for
their credentials when they go via the Apache/Ajp route.

Previously, using Tomcat4 and Ajp13Connector, this worked and Tomcat
accepted Apache's authentication. Now the Ajp13Connector seems to no
longer be supported and the CoyoteConnector, with seemingly identical
settings, behaves differently. Because of the system architecture, we
need to allow both authentication via Apache and also internally through
Tomcat.

Best,

Seth