Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Klein Stéphane <st...@harobed.org> on 2009/09/12 15:46:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: [mod_dav] Apple Finder webdav client launch many GET requests when I explore a folder

Stéphane KLEIN a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I've posted this message on Apple forum
> (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2148019&tstart=0) :
>
> """
> Hi,
>
> I write a WebDAV server in Python.
> I found one issue with Apple Finder WebDAV client and I've noticed same
> issue with Apache mod_dav server.
>
> Issue : when Finder explore a folder, Finder download the totaly of all
> files !
> I don't know who does all this GET requests ? Spotlight ?
>
> This is very boring because if I've some big file in a folder, all this
> data are transfered on my bandwidth.
>
> Have you see the same issue ? Who does this request ? How can I disable
> this transfert ?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Stephane
> """
>
> I don't have other information about this issue and I don't know how to
> fix it.
>
> Do other people can test this issue ?

Same issue explained here :

http://code.google.com/p/sabredav/wiki/Finder

Regards,
Stephane

Re: [users@httpd] Re: [mod_dav] Apple Finder webdav client launch many GET requests when I explore a folder

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Klein Stéphane wrote:

> Same issue explained here :
>
> http://code.google.com/p/sabredav/wiki/Finder

Yes, Stephane, but what are you trying to tell us, or ask us ?
Obviously, that Finder program has a bug, and makes a bunch of
unnecessary requests, ending with the download of all the files in the
folder.
You should complain to whoever wrote that program.  Apache cannot do
anything about it, and probably neither can the Dav server you are
trying to write.
The problem is that, although this client makes those unnecessary
requests, all these requests, individually, are valid, in terms of the
DAV protocol.  So a DAV server has to respond to them, which is what
happens with the Apache mod_dav.
The only way to avoid this, would be to refuse that particular client.
I am sure you could do that, using mod_rewrite e.g., but then you would
not be supporting Finder, which seems to be your project.