Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by mechravi25 <me...@yahoo.co.in> on 2012/08/29 13:29:56 UTC

Multiple Versions getting formed while replicating in solr 1.4.1

Hi,

Im using solr 1.4.1 version and I have the following configuration for
replication in master and slave

Solrconfig.xml (master)

    <requestHandler name="/replication" class="solr.ReplicationHandler" >
     <lst name="master">
          <str name="replicateAfter">commit</str>
          <str name="replicateAfter">startup</str>
          <str name="confFiles">schema.xml,stopwords.txt</str>
        </lst>
</requestHandler>

SolrConfig.xml (slave)

  <requestHandler name="/replication" class="solr.ReplicationHandler" >
      <lst name="slave">
        <str
name="masterUrl">http://localhost:8982/solr/corez/replication</str>
      </lst>
  </requestHandler>

The master is used to index the data and the search requests will be given
to the slave. Tha data can be also pushed into slave from the UI (on need
basis)

At times, we find that the replicated folder in slave is of index.timestamp
format and when this occurs, some segements are not getting replicated to
slave. Due to this, the searches are not returning the proper results.

When I searched regarding this issue I found various answers to it. Can you
tell me which of the below listed issue is the root cause?

1. Can it be due to the folloing issue raised in solr?

2. Can this occur due to the slave having additional data (which is being
pushed from UI)?

3. Can this occur due to solr warming as described in the below forum post?

http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Solr-warming-when-using-master-slave-replication-td3293838.html

4. Can this be due to the segments.gen file not being copied properly as
given in the below post?

http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Lucene-FieldCache-memory-requirements-td484731i20.html

Can you please guide me to the root of this problem?

Thanks

Re: Multiple Versions getting formed while replicating in solr 1.4.1

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Wait, when you say "the data can be pushed to the slave...on need basis" do you
mean you're _indexing_ data to the slave? This is a definite no-no,
Solr will get
all confused about what the proper version is and all bets are off.

If you need to control replication to the slave, I suggest you index
to the master,
commit, and force replication to the slave via HTTP commands, see:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication#HTTP_API

the "fetchindex" command.

Best
Erick