Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Chen Song <ch...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/22 18:22:10 UTC

spark time out

I am using Spark 1.1.0 and have seen a lot of Fetch Failures due to the
following exception.

java.io.IOException: sendMessageReliably failed because ack was not
received within 60 sec
        at
org.apache.spark.network.ConnectionManager$$anon$5$$anonfun$run$15.apply(ConnectionManager.scala:854)
        at
org.apache.spark.network.ConnectionManager$$anon$5$$anonfun$run$15.apply(ConnectionManager.scala:852)
        at scala.Option.foreach(Option.scala:236)
        at
org.apache.spark.network.ConnectionManager$$anon$5.run(ConnectionManager.scala:852)

I have increased spark.core.connection.ack.wait.timeout to 120 seconds.
Situation is relieved but not too much. I am pretty confident it was not
due to GC on executors. What could be the reason for this?

Chen

Re: spark time out

Posted by Andrew Ash <an...@andrewash.com>.
Hi Chen,

The fetch failures seem to be happening a lot more to people on 1.1.0 --
there's a bug tracking fetch failures at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-3633 that might be the same as
what you're seeing.  Can you take a peek at that bug and if it matches what
you're observing follow it and vote for it?

There currently seem to be 3 things causing FetchFailures in 1.1:

1) long GCs on an executor (longer than
spark.core.connection.ack.wait.timeout default 60sec)
2) too many files open (hit kernel limits on ulimit -n)
3) some undetermined issue being tracked on that ticket

Hope that helps!
Andrew

Re: spark time out

Posted by Chen Song <ch...@gmail.com>.