Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Kay Ousterhout <ke...@eecs.berkeley.edu> on 2017/01/04 00:35:38 UTC

Tests failing with GC limit exceeded

I've noticed a bunch of the recent builds failing because of GC limits, for
seemingly unrelated changes (e.g. 70818, 70840, 70842).  Shane, have there
been any recent changes in the build configuration that might be causing
this?  Does anyone else have any ideas about what's going on here?

-Kay

Re: Tests failing with GC limit exceeded

Posted by shane knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu>.
quick update:

things are looking slightly...  better.  the number of failing builds
due to GC overhead has decreased slightly since the reboots last
week...  in fact, in the last three days the only builds to be
affected are spark-master-test-maven-hadoop-2.7 (three failures) and
spark-master-test-maven-hadoop-2.6 (five failures).

overall percentages (over two weeks) have also dropped from ~9% to
~7%, so at least the rate of failure is dropping.

so, the while we're still bleeding, it's slowed down a bit.  we'll
still need to audit the java heap size allocs in the various tests,
however.

shane

Posted by shane knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu>.
On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 12:20 PM, shane knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> FYI, this is happening across all spark builds...  not just the PRB.

s/all/almost all/

Re: Tests failing with GC limit exceeded

Posted by shane knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu>.
FYI, this is happening across all spark builds...  not just the PRB.
i'm compiling a report now and will email that out this afternoon.
:(

Posted by shane knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu>.

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.

--
Marcelo

Re: Tests failing with GC limit exceeded

Posted by Kay Ousterhout <ke...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
But is there any non-memory-leak reason why the tests should need more
memory?  In theory each test should be cleaning up it's own Spark Context
etc. right? My memory is that OOM issues in the tests in the past have been
indicative of memory leaks somewhere.

I do agree that it doesn't seem likely that it's an infrastructure issue /
I can't explain why re-booting would improve things.

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.
> [...]

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 1:22 PM, shane knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu> wrote:
>> preliminary findings:  seems to be transient, and affecting 4% of
>> builds from late december until now (which is as far back as we keep
>> build records for the PRB builds).
>>
>>  408 builds
>>   16 builds.gc   <--- failures
>>
>> it's also happening across all workers at about the same rate.
>>
>> and best of all, there seems to be no pattern to which tests are
>> failing (different each time).  i'll look a little deeper and decide
>> what to do next.
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 6:49 PM, shane knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu> wrote:
>>> nope, no changes to jenkins in the past few months.  ganglia graphs
>>> show higher, but not worrying, memory usage on the workers when the
>>> jobs failed...
>>>
>>> i'll take a closer look later tonite/first thing tomorrow morning.

Marcelo

Re: Tests failing with GC limit exceeded

Posted by Kay Ousterhout <ke...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
Thanks for looking into this Shane!

Posted by shane knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu>.

Posted by shane knapp <sk...@berkeley.edu>.