Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Bob Liu <bl...@theocc.com> on 2002/10/04 00:53:05 UTC

config log4j customized appender

I just started using Log4J 1.2.6. I developed a new appender called
MyAppender extending from org.apache.log4j.AppenderSkeleton.
And I tested by doing the following in my Java code and it worked.

    MyLogger myLogger =
(MyLogger)MyLogger.getLogger(MyLogTest.class.getName());
    MyAppender c  = new MyAppender;
    myLogger.addAppender(c);
    myLogger.info("test message");

I can see the message in the destination MyAppender. (I tested on a
normal console and MQ)

Now I want to put it in the configuration properties file.

If I use log4j's appender it work as the following.

log4j.rootCategory=ERROR, dest1
log4j.appender.dest1=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.dest1.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.dest1.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{MMM dd HH:MM:SS} %l %t
%c %p %m%n

But the following configuration doesn't work.

log4j.rootCategory=ERROR, dest1
log4j.appender.dest1=MyAppender
log4j.appender.dest1.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.dest1.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{MMM dd HH:MM:SS} %l %%c

%p %m%n

The error message is og4j:ERROR Could not instantiate class [MyAppender]

The interesting thing is I also developed a customized layout called
MyLayout. (extends from org.apache.log4j.Layout)
The following configuration worked.

og4j.rootCategory=ERROR, dest1
log4j.appender.dest1=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.dest1.layout=MyLayout

I wonder why it could instantiate MyLayout this time.

Thanks.

Bob Liu
The OCC
bliu@theocc.com

Re: Log4j Version

Posted by Daniel Serodio <da...@checkforte.com.br>.
Extract the contents of the jar file and look at the manifest
(MANIFEST.MF) file. It should have a "Implementation-Version:" line.

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 01:46, Manish Gupta wrote:
> Is there any way to check the version of log4j. I have so many log4j.jar
> files and wants to know their versions.
>

> Regards.
> Manish Gupta.

[]'s