Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by gabeweb <ga...@htc.com> on 2010/12/17 05:55:03 UTC

Re: How to combine boolean datamodel with datamodel

Hi, I'm interested in following up on this question about combining boolean
and non-boolean data.  Young and Sean mentioned two ways of doing this:

(1) Assign each boolean data point an arbitrary rating, such as 4 out of 5.

(2) Assume that all of the data is boolean, i.e. ignore the explicit
ratings.

Are there any other ways of doing this that folks have found to work well?
I could imagine, for example, that instead of assigning each boolean data
point an arbitrary rating (such as 4), one could assign it the average of
the non-boolean ratings.

The problem with any method of combining boolean and non-boolean data is
that it can't be tested objectively, because it is a means of constructing a
dataset -- including the test data!  So it seems that only a subjective
evaluation could differentiate among different options.  I'm hoping that
someone else has already done something along these lines.

Thanks much in advance.

Re: How to combine boolean datamodel with datamodel

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
John can you define this a bit more? It's an interesting area and want
to be able to give more targeted responses if I can (same for others).
You are trying to evaluate how "good" your mapping of user behavior to
implicit rating is? Or something else.

Posted by John Hurliman <jh...@cull.tv>.