Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Yong Hu <hu...@yahoo.com.cn> on 2004/08/12 09:53:42 UTC

Re: Why need read privilege on upstream folders to achieve a writ e permission

Peter,

Thanks for your reply. So you are telling me if I want to
assign write privilege to a folder, I will have to assign
read privileges to all its upstream folders to make that
write privilege work, is it correct? But this brings another
problem, if I assign the read privileges on those
upstream folders using webdav client, I found those read privileges
are assigned with "inheritable=true", it's hard coded in the source
NodePermission np = new NodePermission(objectUri, subjectUri, actionUri, true, negative);

I don't have a chance to grant a non-inheritable read privilege to those upstream
folders. So this means if I want to grant user a write privilege on some
folder, then the whole slide document repository will become readable by this
user (because all the folders will have inherited read privilege).

Is this true? Or I have some misunderstanding there? Thanks for the help.

regards,

Jun

150万曲MP3疯狂搜,带您闯入音乐殿堂
美女明星应有尽有,搜遍美图、艳图和酷图
1G就是1000兆,雅虎电邮自助扩容!

Re: Why need read privilege on upstream folders to achieve a writ e permission

Posted by James Mason <ma...@apache.org>.
This is true. What I've ended up doing is granting read privileges to
all at the root level and then denying read to all for sections that
should be private. Before you deny everyone read permissions, though, be
sure to explicitly grant read to someone who has write access as well.
Otherwise you lock yourself out of that collection.

-James