Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2005/07/18 09:38:11 UTC

Some clarification for a ./configure build

Hi all,

I have been trying to get a second C/C++ project built that depends on a
first C/C++ project's make install step, but I have been struggling. I
have been using the apache-httpd and apr projects as a template on how to
do this, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

The ./configure line of the second project is:

/udd001/hoops/gump/hoops-feed/configure --with-hoops=/udd001/hoops/gump/hoops
        --with-monacoxml=/udd001/hoops/gump/monaco-xml
        --prefix=/udd001/hoops/gump/hoops-feed/dest-15072005

Both the --with-hoops and the --with-monacoxml parameters are inserting
the directory of the source build, not the target directory of "make
install", and so the ./configure step fails with errors about libraries
not found.

The project file for the configuration of the second project looks like this:

  <project name="hoops-feed-configure">
    <configure>
      <arg name="--prefix" path="dest-@@DATE@@"/>
      <arg name="--with-hoops" project="hoops-make-install"
           path="dest-@@DATE@@"/>
      <arg name="--with-monacoxml" project="monaco-xml-make-install"
           path="dest-@@DATE@@"/>
    </configure>
    <depend project="hoops-make-install"/>
    <license name="LICENSE.txt" />
    <nag to="svn_fo_hoops@xxx.co.za" from="SVN FO Hoops
&lt;svn_fo_hoops@xxx.co.za&gt;" />
  </project>

The definitions of the first project (which builds fine) are:

  <project name="hoops-configure">
    <configure>
      <arg name="--prefix" path="dest-@@DATE@@"/>
    </configure>
    <home nested="dest-@@DATE@@"/>
    <license name="LICENSE.txt" />
  </project>

  <project name="hoops-make">
    <make>
    </make>
    <depend project="hoops-configure"/>
    <license name="LICENSE.txt" />
  </project>

  <project name="hoops-make-install">
    <make target="install"/>
    <depend project="hoops-make"/>
    <license name="LICENSE.txt" />
  </project>

Can anyone see anything obvious I have overlooked?

Regards,
Graham

Re: Some clarification for a ./configure build

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Hmm, can you send the complete descriptors so that I can have a closer
> look?

Will do when I have access to that machine again tomorrow.

Another thing I noticed - if I commented out the <arg/> tags that
created --with-hoops and --with-monacoxml, suddenly the hoops-feed
project disappeared off the list of projects to be built. As soon as I
put the args tags back, the project suddenly was built (and failed) again.

Is there something special about the --with-<something> arguments?

I also get a warning that the --with arguments are not necessary, as the
projects already depend on it's two dependencies.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:

> It seems the line
>
>     <home nested="dest-@@DATE@@"/>
>
> isn't doing anything with the dest-@@DATE@@ part.

Hmm, can you send the complete descriptors so that I can have a closer
look?

> I take it "nested" means "this directory inside the source
> directory?".

Yes.

Stefan

Re: Some clarification for a ./configure build

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Stefan Bodewig said:

>> What does the "home" mean in the reference attribute?
>
> It references the value given with <home>.

It's very odd - in my case it seems the "dest-15072005" directory inside
home is being ignored.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Stefan Bodewig said:

> Take a look at how httpd-configure does this, for example:
>
>       <arg name="--with-apr" project="apr-make-install"
>         reference="home"/>
>
> the key is reference="home" which you can control on the dependent
> project side.

I had already tried reference="home" and changed it back, but that has
made no difference either - ./configure is still pointed at the source
directory and not the destination directory.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:

> Both the --with-hoops and the --with-monacoxml parameters are
> inserting the directory of the source build, not the target
> directory of "make install", and so the ./configure step fails with
> errors about libraries not found.

Take a look at how httpd-configure does this, for example:

      <arg name="--with-apr" project="apr-make-install"
        reference="home"/>

the key is reference="home" which you can control on the dependent
project side.

> Can anyone see anything obvious I have overlooked?

No sorry, I don't see anything wrong.  But since you set the <home> to
the value you'd want, maybe you should give reference="home" a try.
There might be a problem with the handling of the path attribute.

Stefan