Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Charlie Carson <cc...@twitter.com> on 2014/01/16 23:08:30 UTC

.gitignore for automake files

Hey guys, is it good / bad / different if we were to add the files that
automake generates and to put them into appropriate .gitignore files and
check those in?

I'm new to mesos dev, so probably missing context, but wanted to double
check instead of just working around it for myself.

if it does make sense then I'd be happy to create the JIRA and initial CR.

thanks,
cc

Re: .gitignore for automake files

Posted by Tim St Clair <ts...@redhat.com>.
My typical answer to *this question is to do out-of-source builds where possible.

@Vinod
Patterns which a user wants Git to ignore in all situations (e.g., backup or temporary files generated by the user’s editor of choice) generally go into a file specified by core.excludesfile in the user’s ~/.gitconfig

Posted by Charlie Carson <cc...@twitter.com>.
In theory, you can do that by have a personal .gitignore file specifed in
your git config.  see the below from here<http://git-scm.com/docs/gitignore>.
 (I say in theory b/c I haven't done it yet :-) )

   -

   Patterns which a user wants Git to ignore in all situations (e.g.,
   backup or temporary files generated by the user's editor of choice)
   generally go into a file specified by core.excludesfilein the user's
   ~/.gitconfig. Its default value is $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/git/ignore. If
   $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is either not set or empty, $HOME/.config/git/ignore is
   used instead.

cc

Posted by Vinod Kone <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Lester <da...@ischool.berkeley.edu>.
Hi Ben,

Posted by Dave Lester <dl...@twitter.com>.
Hi Ben,

Posted by Charlie Carson <cc...@twitter.com>.
Ok - that sounds like the context I was missing.

do you want me to do send a CR for adding .gitignore-template (just a
single file in the root) path?

cc

Posted by Benjamin Hindman <be...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.

Posted by Dave Lester <da...@ischool.berkeley.edu>.