Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by "Mike Sandman (misandma)" <mi...@cisco.com> on 2017/10/26 15:18:54 UTC

Geolimit Redirect URL

Hi,

We were looking in Traffic Router code and saw references to “ResultType.GEO_REDIRECT” and then found the “Geolimit Redirect URL” on the Add Delivery Service page in Traffic Ops. It seems that this option vanishes whenever you select a Content Routing Type. What is this field used for? Should it be usable with a standard HTTP or DNS delivery service?

Thanks,
Mike Sandman

Re: Geolimit Redirect URL

Posted by "Mike Sandman (misandma)" <mi...@cisco.com>.
This is enough info actually – makes sense that it goes away unless you actually have geo-limiting turned on, I didn’t try that. Thanks!

On 10/26/17, 12:12 PM, "Rawlin Peters" <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Hi Mike,

    I haven't had much experience using/testing that feature, so I can't
    speak with 100% certainty about it.

    However, what I do know is that field reappears in the Add Delivery
    Service page when you select an HTTP* content routing type and then
    choose an option other than 'None' in the 'Geo Limit?' field. That
    field doesn't reappear for DNS* content routing, but I'm not sure that
    that means you can't use the larger GeoLimit feature for DNS Delivery
    Services. There is some documentation on these fields that might give
    you some more help [1] [2]. Another feature that might be somewhat
    related is Regional Geoblocking [3].

    I think the basic idea behind the Geo Limit feature is that you have
    the ability to restrict access to a certain Delivery Service based
    upon your Coverage Zone file and/or Country Codes returned by your Geo
    Location Provider. For example, to allow only IPs within the Coverage
    Zone file to access that Delivery Service, you would set Geo Limit =
    CZF only. Then, if a client whose IP is outside of the CZF requests
    that Delivery Service, the client will be 302'd to the URL in the
    'Geolimit Redirect URL' field (probably). Hopefully someone more
    familiar with this feature can confirm this :)

    Best,
    Rawlin

    [1] https://trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org/docs/latest/admin/traffic_ops/using.html#delivery-service
    [2] https://trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org/docs/latest/admin/traffic_router.html#rl-tr-ngb