Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Madden, Rodney A -Syntegra US" <Ro...@syntegra.com> on 2002/05/04 23:27:08 UTC

Contexts

I am totally new to Tomcat ( and servlets & JSP's in general ). I have
successfully installed Tomcat but do NOT seem to be able to successfully
configure a location for my Sevlets and JSP's.

My default "Home" for Tomcat is d:\jbuilder5\jakarta-3.2.1

Currently, if I place a servlet under the directory
"d:\jbuilder5\jakarta-3.2.1classes" ...it runs fine. I simply
reference http://localhost:8080/servlet/SomeServletName
<http://localhost:8080/servlet/SomeServletName>  in my browser URL.

JSP's run fine if placed under
d:\jbuilder5\jakarta-3.2.1\webapps\examples\jsp". I simply
reference http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/SomeJSPName.jsp
<http://localhost:8080/servlet/SomeServletName>  in my browser URL.

Both of these are directories created by the Tomcat install process.

>From what I have read, I should be able to modify SERVER.XML file to specify
a CONTEXT I would like.
So far NO Success ...I made the entries:

        <Context path="/ServletRoot"
                 docBase="webapps/ServletRoot"
                 crossContext="false"
                 debug="0"
                 reloadable="true" >
        </Context>

in SERVER.XML in my attempt to create my own SERVLET location. My
presumption was that I would create the directory
ServletRoot under d:\jbuilder5\jakarta-3.2.1\webapps, place my servlet or
JSP file in this new ( ServletRoot ) directory,
restart Tomcat and run my servlet using
http://localhost:8080/ServletRoot/SomeServletName
<http://localhost:8080/ServletRoot/SomeServletName> . or my JSP file using
http://localhost:8080/ServletRoot/SomeJSPName.jsp.
<http://localhost:8080/ServletRoot/SomeJSPName.jsp.>

This does not work ...all is well though if I put my servlet in the CLASSES
directory or my new JSP file in the
d:\jbuilder5\jakarta-3.2.1\webapps\examples\jsp directory !

Any tips on how to structure my own JSP and servlet directories ...Please!!

E-Mail
RAM4@syntegra.com