Posted to users@camel.apache.org by awold <aw...@hotmail.com> on 2010/11/08 22:38:37 UTC

dynamically turning schedulers on or off

Hello,

I am looking at using the FTP component to act as a scheduled poller for
files on a remote server.  But I feel I need to have the ability to shutdown
the polling without bringing my entire application down.  Is there a best
practice or strategy in Camel to achieve this with scheduling?  Is this when
I should look at utilizing the Quartz component?  Any feedback would be
helpful as my previous Camel experience did not really delve into
scheduling.

awold

Re: dynamically turning schedulers on or off

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

You can use the API from CamelContext or JMX to stop/start routes at runtime
there is a startRoute / stopRoute method calls for that.

<route id="foo">
</route>

In Java DSL you see the route id as follows:
from("xxx").routeId("foo")

camelContext.stopRoute("foo");

You can also use RoutePolicy which can be used to define when the
route should be active
http://camel.apache.org/routepolicy.html

And in Camel 2.6 there is some scheduled based out of the box
http://camel.apache.org/scheduledroutepolicy.html

Camel in Action book covers this in chapter 13. And chapter 12 covers JMX.

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 10:38 PM, awold <aw...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking at using the FTP component to act as a scheduled poller for
> files on a remote server.  But I feel I need to have the ability to shutdown
> the polling without bringing my entire application down.  Is there a best
> practice or strategy in Camel to achieve this with scheduling?  Is this when
> I should look at utilizing the Quartz component?  Any feedback would be
> helpful as my previous Camel experience did not really delve into
> scheduling.
>
> awold

Claus Ibsen
FuseSource