Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/17 17:53:36 UTC

Do we need a survey mechanism?

In light of our recent start on Strategic Planning, is it worthwhile to
investigate some sort of survey mechanism?  I know we've used Google
Moderator, and I see there were mixed opinions on that. We really need to
get a better feel of WHAT our end users are doing with AOO I think, before
we can get into any indepth product planning.

See related thread on using BZ:

http://markmail.org/message/5a4j74e4oths55rg

Ideally, we should attempt to use some mechanism that doesn't explicitly
require an account setup.

I started thinking about this a few days ago and saw that there is a MWiki
extension called "Survey". Maybe we could use this.

Coupled with that, is there some way to setup an automatic "login" for such
a page display,  but coupled with CAPTCHA for survey submission maybe?

MzK

"Achieving happiness requires the right combination of Zen and Zin."

Re: Do we need a survey mechanism?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM, Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> KG02 - see comments inline
>>
>> On Mar 19, 2013, at 6:11 AM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> the

>> specific

>> for
>> maybe?

>> this

>> the

>> and

>> > Kevin, does limesurvey require some sort of registration by participants?
>> >
>> > It looks like it does.
>> >

>> KG02 -Hhmmmm good question. I hope not, lets verify.
>>

> It would be great if someone COULD verify the needed logon business.
>
> OK, more questions and an ultimate goal. I have not  kept up with marketing
> on any of this, so here goes...
>
> * Does marketing have results of previous surveys actually published
> anywhere?
>
> I took a brief look at the Marketing area on the web server just now and
> could't find anything. It would be great if we COULD publish this
> information someplace, at least for a time -- a year or so. The results
> might be valuable for planning purposes.
>
> * Can we put together a survey to find out more about what users are doing
> with AOO?
>
> We have BZ for bug reporting but I think it would be nice to actually find
> out what folks are doing with AOO -- who they are, what modules they use,
> and for what if they care to share that information. My personal interest
> is with Base. What are people doing with it.
>
> * Ideally, we should use some survery/mechanism site that does NOT require
> a login -- some simple human verification like CAPTCHA is fine. The last
> thing we want is to inhibit people from participating.

According to this page they offer both anonymous and non-anonymous surveys:

http://www.limesurvey.org/en/about-limesurvey/features

> Thoughts?

It depends on the purpose of the survey and what you want to do with
the results.  In general, an open survey, where anyone can respond
will not give the best results.  It can get a lot of responses.  It
can be used as  a "push poll" to influence options.  But the main
problem is that the respondents are self-selected and when that
happens you risk that they are not representative of the entire group
you are surveying.  It might be that those who responded to an
advertisement of the poll on Facebook or the mailing list, might
younger, or more likely to be a native English speaker, or biased in
any number of other ways.

Ideally -- and we might not always be able to do the idea -- we start
with a list of representative users and make a random selection and
invite the random subset to fill out the survey.  If someone doesn't
respond, then follow up with a reminder.  And a 2nd, personal
reminder.  You try to avoid a bias caused by non-responders being
different from responders in some important way, e.g., they are busy,
or they don't have broadband, or whatever.

If you get an actual representative sample then you can answer almost
any question with a survey of only 400 people.  But if the respondents
are not representative of all users then you can have 400 thousand

That is the challenge of surveying -- getting the good random sample
to start with.   Something built into the product itself would be
idea, since that has the potential of reaching all users equally.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.