Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Chris Pollock <cp...@embarqmail.com> on 2018/09/19 19:48:14 UTC

Current update channels

I noticed in a post that Kevin McGrail made that the 'sought' rules are
no longer published. So, my update-channels file that SA-Update reads
should have only one entry:

updates.spamassassin.org

Is that correct

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Re: Current update channels

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
On 9/20/2018 9:03 AM, micah anderson wrote:
> "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org> writes:
>
>> There are people asking me to put KAM.cf under the default sa-update
>> crypto signature.  Technically, it's easy.  But it would have to be
>> carefully considered as it's not a project ruleset.  Thoughts on that?
> I would be interested in KAM as part of an update channel, it would make
> updates more frequent. The only thing is I have to adjust KAM each time
> I update it. For example, the political spam section is a bit dated and
> has caused some frustrations for people.

If you read the ruleset and follow the instructions, we respond to issues.

--
Kevin A. McGrail
VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation

Re: Current update channels

Posted by micah anderson <mi...@riseup.net>.

Re: Current update channels

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
On 9/20/2018 6:35 AM, Alex Woick wrote:
> Kevin A. McGrail schrieb am 19.09.2018 um 22:28:
>>
>> Alex, sought isn't published, correct?  We have to get sought2 relit now
>> that 3.4.2 is in the can.
>>
> Correct, sought isn't published with 3.4.2. It's only in the 3.4.1
> Fedora/Redhat rpm distributions until now, from where it should be
> removed by the packager for 3.4.2.
>
>> The ASF project only produces one rule set.
>>
>> There are people asking me to put KAM.cf under the default sa-update
>> crypto signature.  Technically, it's easy.  But it would have to be
>> carefully considered as it's not a project ruleset.  Thoughts on that?
>>
> In Fedora rpm, there is a very nice update channel configuration and
> update script, where you can put key files into a ./channel.d
> directory. The update script collects every key and associated url and
> calls sa-update for each of them. Adding a channel is no more than
> dropping the key with url info into that directory.
> If you cannot include KAM.cf in the project ruleset, distribute it as
> extra sa-update channel and publish the key and adapt the Fedora
> update wrapper for SA itself. You will make it easier for all
> packagers and for all administrators who want to add custom published
> rulesets.
>
> On the other hand, for almost all administrators the ruleset is a
> black box. If you include KAM.cf as extra rule or don't include it, is
> not relevant for them in terms of official or or not so official
> ruleset. Relevant is the efficiency of the ruleset. If KAM.cf
> increases the efficiency without sacrificing accuracy (false
> positives), pretend it's official and do include it. If, at a later
> time, you are unable to maintain KAM.cf any more, remove it before you
> leave the project.
> Perhaps you could add a conditional switch (if/ifplugin) that can
> activate or deactivate configuration files like KAM.cf. If an
> administrator wants to use it, he activates it in local.cf or some
> *.pre. Add an option to define some tag ("define kam") and an option
> to "if" that queries this tag, e.g. if tag(kam) .... endif. Wrap the
> contents of KAM.cf with this if/endif.
>
> Alex

Thanks.  Good  information and ideas.

Re: Current update channels