Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Shaun Campbell <Sh...@entranet.co.uk> on 2001/03/09 10:58:34 UTC

RE:Cameron Smith's response on Building a suite of applications w ith Turbine

Cameron

I am trying to do the same thing and I have got a couple of questions.

Say each "module" within your webapp suite of applications accesses a
different database, possibly on the same database server (mysql) or maybe on
a different type of database server altogether (SQLServer).  Do you do this
and how do you cope with it?  Where and how do you switch databases?  We are
using Torque and does this help or affect the problem as I haven't seen
where to set the database yet?

Also, I see you have access permissions built into your webapp which is
something I would like to do. Again where do you keep the centralised
Turbine permissions tables and how does this affect things.

Finally, you talk about external ASP based apps that you link into your
framework.  We have exactly the same situation, although not ASP based.
When we link to our external application it takes us out of our framework so
we lose the layout, navigation etc.  Our only solution is to open up the app
in a separate window so that you still have the webapp running in the
background.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Shaun Campbell