Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/08 22:47:27 UTC

Airavata status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "May2012" by SureshMarru)

Hi,

Thanks for the great report, Airavata! Sounds like you're doing fine.

Based on your report I still classified Airavata as lacking enough
diversity to graduate in near future, but I'm looking forward to
hearing about new committers or other community developments already
in your next report. Also, it'll be interesting to hear about how the
GSoC program works for you with so many students participating.

And of course congrats on getting the first release out!

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Airavata status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "May2012" by SureshMarru)

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi Jukka,
On May 8, 2012, at 4:47 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the great report, Airavata! Sounds like you're doing fine.
>
> Based on your report I still classified Airavata as lacking enough
> diversity to graduate in near future, but I'm looking forward to
> hearing about new committers or other community developments already
> in your next report. Also, it'll be interesting to hear about how the
> GSoC program works for you with so many students participating.
>
> And of course congrats on getting the first release out!

Thanks for taking time to review. Yes we are very much looking forwarding to broadening the community. As you pointed out, waiting to see how GSoC students fare up. We have a diverse user base but the developer community is little focused now. Ross & Chris have been actively mentoring the project helping us in the right direction. Big thanks to Ate in mentoring on legal requirements. We had the first release out and hoping that will  stir some more momentum.  We have seen some sporadic interests from community and we need to encourage that into more contributions [1] [2] [3] [4] [5].

Just to clarify: if we literally speak, the committers have currently diverse affiliations. Indiana University  - 8 (Lahiru Gunathilake, Suresh Marru, Marlon Pierce, Thilina Gunaratne, Raminderjeet Singh, Barbara Hallock, Heshan Suriyaarachchi, Saminda Wijeratne) ; Lanka Software Foundation - 2 (Srinath Perera, Wathsala Vithanage); IBM - 1 (Aleksander Slominski); Chase - 1 (Archit Kulshrestha); Knight Capital (Chathura Herath), NexTag - 2 (Eran Chinthaka, Patanachai Tangchaisin). But practically speaking all active contributions are centered. Not just for graduation, but to let the software evolve with different use cases, we want to pro-actively encourage diverse participation. We hope to have few new committers come onboard before next report.

Cheers,
Suresh

[1] - http://markmail.org/thread/p2kbay63hyv3co2h
[2] - http://markmail.org/thread/zue6vjq2zxtpgm5m