Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Allistair Crossley <Al...@QAS.com> on 2004/03/10 17:37:10 UTC

tomcat services do not start after jdk1.4.2 install - even new tomcat

hey guys (again) .. seem to be having a few issues today.

i had apache tomcat 5.0 and tomcat 5.0.18 installed both as services and both using jdk1.4.1 this morning. the services worked just fine.

i decided to install jdk1.4.2. the first thing i did was uninstall jdk1.4.1. as soon as I did this i installed 1.4.2 and then updated JAVA_HOME to this. i tried to restart the 2 tomcat services and they now do not respond and fail. I restarted the machine and the services just won't start (error: the service will not respond).

i figured this had to be related to not being able to find java? I looked at the services.bat and it does not even refer to JAVA_HOME but it does have java in it. So i checked that my system path had the jdk1.4.2\bin in it and java works on the command line.

furthermore I can start the 2 tomcat installations using the startup.bat scripts... the problem is confined to the services.

so i tried "service uninstall" to get rid of the services and then I reinstalled them "service install" and they still do not work.

I then downloaded a new tomcat 5.0.19 and tried the service and it does not work.

i think i have exhausted the possibilities now and would appreciate someone suggesting something else ..

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
Registered in England: No 2582055
Registered in Australia: No 082 851 474
</FONT>

Re: tomcat services do not start after jdk1.4.2 install - even new tomcat

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
The NetBeans co-bundle doesn't set the Windows registry entries correctly
for the service to work.  The easiest way around this is to uninstall the
NetBeans co-bundle, install the 1.4.2 SDK (it's the one below NetBeans on
Sun's site), and then if you want NetBeans as well, go ahead and install
that.