Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2006/07/07 18:58:19 UTC

Hadoop production-ready?

Hi,

Sorry for the nature of the question, but can anyone estimate when Hadoop will be "stable and production-ready"?  I know you've run it on clusters with 600+ nodes, but you guys (hadoop-dev) know this beast inside out, and can spend time troubleshooting and fixing its problems, but for somebody who is unable to do that, when do you think it will be as stable as Nutch and Lucene are, for example?

I'm asking because I see a LOT of fast development, but also see that things being worked on are all non-trivial and still very much in the core.

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Hadoop production-ready?

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@media-style.com>.
Hi Otis,

I think this is difficult to answer. Just some points from my
perspective. I use it in two projects in production but not the
latest trunk.
Map reduce works great and stable in my scale (up to 20 boxes). I
lost several times data from the dfs so this is tricky.
Watch out that you better never touch your network setup. If it runs
once my experience is that it runs. However making backups from
important data to a "normal" file system is a good idea.

However hadoop related problems are fixed in a amazing short time frame.

.. just my personal perspective.
Stefan