Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Mark Webb <el...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/05 16:38:59 UTC

sending messages to a topic that program is listening to

I have a group of applications that use JMS to communicate.  I would
like to set up a topic for internal control messages (status,
heartbeat..etc).  Each of these processes will subscribe to the topic
and send messages to each other periodically.  The problem I have is
that if application A sends a message to the topic for application B,
C and D to receive, they are going to receive the message.  Is there
an easy way to filter messages in the onMessage(Message) method so
that application A does not receive its own messages?

Or is there a better way to allow applications to communicate with
each other for control messages.

Thanks

Re: sending messages to a topic that program is listening to

Posted by Bill Schuller <Bi...@intuit.com>.
I believe you have to specify your selector as you create your consumer.

On 2/6/09 6:07 AM, "Mark Webb" <el...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK.  I have it all figured out and running.  I have looked through the
> API's and cannot find the answer, but can I set the selector criteria
> after the consumer has started?
>
> Thanks
>

> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Bill Schuller <Bi...@intuit.com>
> wrote:
>> > Here is some more detailed information on message properties and selectors.
>> > The ActiveMQ documentation is a little sparse. Selectors are part of the >>
JMS
>> > API, so they behave the same across broker implementations.
>> >
>> > http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=170722&seqNum=2
>> >

>> > On 2/5/09 9:48 AM, "Bill Schuller" <Bi...@intuit.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > use a selector
>> >
>> > ---
>> > Bill Schuller, Service Foundations Engineering, Intuit Inc.

Bill Schuller, Sr. SW Engineer
Intuit, Inc.
Intuit Ecosystem Platform Service Foundations
+1-214-387-2583, bill_schuller@intuit.com <ma...@intuit.com>
5601 Headquarters Drive, Plano, TX 75024

Re: sending messages to a topic that program is listening to

Posted by Mark Webb <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bill Schuller <Bi...@intuit.com>.
Here is some more detailed information on message properties and selectors.
The ActiveMQ documentation is a little sparse. Selectors are part of the JMS
API, so they behave the same across broker implementations.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=170722&seqNum=2

On 2/5/09 9:48 AM, "Bill Schuller" <Bi...@intuit.com> wrote:

> use a selector

---

Posted by Bill Schuller <Bi...@intuit.com>.
Implement a header property identifying the source of the message (
ŒsetStringProperty(source, ³me²)¹. In your topic subscription, use a
selector like Œsource not me¹ in each of your apps...