Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bill Flood <ai...@airrun.net> on 2002/02/07 16:54:25 UTC

Install and build questions

Hello!

I have a fellow building a RH 7 webserver for me.  It has not been going too
well!  The default Apache test page we are seeing has this line on it:
________
If you are the administrator of this website:
You may now add content to this directory, and replace this page. Note that
until you do so, people visiting your website will see this page, and not
your content.

If you have upgraded from Red Hat Linux 6.2 and earlier, then you are seeing
this page because the default DocumentRoot set in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
has changed. Any subdirectories which existed under /home/httpd should now
be moved to /var/www. Alternatively, the contents of /var/www can be moved
to /home/httpd, and the configuration file can be updated accordingly.
______________-
Some details: we are attempting to use VirtualNameHosting with 1 IP and
multiple domains and the unit is sitting behind a Firewall. I have provided
a passthrough on a public IP to the private IP behind the Firewall.

The installer has the placed the user files where their HTML goes in the
/home/user/htdocs directory.  The above note suggests that the code be
placed in /var/www

Has there been a change from past code to this version where it is necessary
to place user HTML in the /var/html directory?

Currently I have two domains with DNS pointing to the public IP. When we
request either site we get the test page.

Thank You,

Bill Flood