Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by neeraj_katariya <ne...@infosys.com> on 2002/08/14 06:03:48 UTC

DailyRollingFileAppender

Hi All!
I am using daily rolling file.
But if I append my standard output and standard error stream also to the
same file, It doesn't archives the old file next day, instead flushes it
out and starts logging in the same file from start.

Is there a way to append standard output and error stream to the file
and achieve rollover at the same time?
Thanks
Neeraj

Re: DailyRollingFileAppender

Posted by doug <um...@yahoo.com>.
neeraj_katariya wrote:
> Hi All!
> I am using daily rolling file.
> But if I append my standard output and standard error stream also to the
> same file, It doesn't archives the old file next day, instead flushes it
> out and starts logging in the same file from start.
>
> Is there a way to append standard output and error stream to the file
> and achieve rollover at the same time?
> Thanks
> Neeraj

we also have a problem where two different copies of log4j classes* are
logging to the same files and occassionally step on each other.  one
will roll over, but the other will keep logging to the old, renamed
file.  then when it decides to rollover at the next rollover time, it
completely overwrites "today's" file.  this is on log4j 1.1, however, so
i don't know if 1.2 behaves any better - we're still in process of
moving to 1.2.

(*at least, i believe this is the cause.  we're running on WebSphere
Application Server under a single JVM, but with 2 separate Web
Applications that each have a copy of log4j.jar in their reloadable
classpaths - as opposed to in the JVM's static classpath.  we couldn't
seem to get our other JAR file dependencies to like log4j.jar on the JVM
classpath, but we're trying again to work through that.)