Posted to users@directory.apache.org by vlad florentino <me...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/19 19:08:15 UTC

Auto push schemas to server?

Hello,

Is it possible to edit OpenLDAP schema files from Apache Directory Studio
such that those schemas are automatically pushed onto the server from
within ADS?

Currently, I'm having to go through this process to create schema content
that I can use in my directory:
   1 - Edit schema to add objectclasses/attributes
   2 - Export them to the local filesystem from ADS
   3 - Upload them to the server
   4 - Run a script on the uploaded data, to turn it from the ADS exported
format, to the new OpenLDAP format (LDIF).
   5 - Restart the OpenLDAP
   6 - Refresh ADS to get the new schemas

If what I'm asking is possible, then the steps after #1 would be automatic,
as the schema is edited and saved/pushed.

Regards,
Vlad

Re: Auto push schemas to server?

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi,

Unfortunately, this is not possible right now.

But we've had this in the pipeline for a long time now.

It is already partially implemented and usable in the sense that you can (at least) get the schema from a running server via the LDAP protocol using a connection.

The other side of the story, which is pushing the modifications back to the server, is halfway done but this is not obvious because editing the schema is something very dangerous and we really want to polish this feature before going live, since having an inconsistent schema can very badly break a server.

We already have a few UI elements to graphically display the schema modifications to the user before committing the changes to the server but it's that part which is not the easiest because it defers from server to server. ApacheDS and OpenLDAP does not store their schemas at the same location and in the same format as an example. Furthermore, there are some server which doesn't even support online editing/replacement of schema.

So, the short answer would be: No, it's not possible at the moment. *But*, we've identified this need and already implemented some of the required components. We just need more time to polish this feature a little more and prepare all the adaptations that required on each server we'd like to support (ApacheDS obviously, but probably OpenLDAP too).

Maybe you have some spare time to share and want to help us build this kind of feature.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud