Posted to dev@mynewt.apache.org by david zuhn <zo...@statebeltrailway.org> on 2018/04/26 15:07:10 UTC

This is working nicely.....

Hey all,
   Since most postings on lists like this are of the sort "I can't get this
to work, help!", sometimes people can overlook the bigger picture.

  I started working with MyNewt about a year ago, and quickly ran into
issues because I needed ADC support on the nRF52, and that didn't work
"simply".  So I ended up moving into the Nordic SDK directly, and I've
spent a lot of time over the last few months deep in that space.

  At ELC in March, I talked to the runtime folks again, and they suggested
that I take another look at MyNewt, especially master, as the nrfx code had
been merged in and that made several of the drivers a lot more
straightforward.

  I've been working on my codebase for 2-3 weeks now within MyNewt, and I'm
further along now than after several months within the Nordic SDK.
 Granted, some of that is just the fact that I have a better understanding
of what I need to do, and so it's easier to know what to look for in the
code.
  But the Nimble BLE API's in particular *really* make it a LOT easier to
get stuff done.  Just re-implementing my devices BLE interface took a
weekend, and I've got more functionality and the code is much cleaner.

  I'm not saying MyNewt is perfect.   But there's really been a lot of
progress in the last year, and I'm definitely hopeful for the future.
 It's a nice base to work on right now.

  Kudos to everyone involved.

david zuhn
zoo@statebeltrailway.org

Re: This is working nicely.....

Posted by Christopher Collins <ch...@runtime.io>.
Thanks for taking the time, David and Abderrezak.  As a Mynewt
contributor, messages like yours are gratifying to hear.

I won't comment on the question of Mynewt vs. Zephyr! :)

Chris

Re: This is working nicely.....

Posted by Abderrezak Mekkaoui <ab...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,