Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rob <bu...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/20 23:01:22 UTC

[users@httpd] MYSQL Domain ?

Hey there,

wondering if some one could point me on the right direction. I have no idea
what its actually called but i want to asign my MYSQL to a domain name.

So instead of using local host they can use mysql.domainname.com

Basically want this to make my database accessible to our other servers
which are hosted at all diffrent places around the world.

Could any one give me a brief idea on how this is done ? and the pro's and
cons of it.

I did trying searching for it but seams i dont actually know whats its
properly called i came up with very little. I thinking this is done in
apache ? im just guessing here

thanks,

rob

Re: [users@httpd] MYSQL Domain ?

Posted by Dragon <dr...@crimson-dragon.com>.
Rob wrote:
>Hey there,
>
>wondering if some one could point me on the right direction. I have
>no idea what its actually called but i want to asign my MYSQL to a
>domain name.
>
>So instead of using local host they can use
><http://mysql.domainname.com>mysql.domainname.com
>
>Basically want this to make my database accessible to our other
>servers which are hosted at all diffrent places around the world.
>
>Could any one give me a brief idea on how this is done ? and the
>pro's and cons of it.
>
>I did trying searching for it but seams i dont actually know whats
>its properly called i came up with very little. I thinking this is
>done in apache ? im just guessing here
>
>thanks,
>
>rob

What you want to do is partly a DNS configuration issue (setting up
an A record with the appropriate host name for the MySQL server
machine) and partly a MySQL configuration issue. You need to
configure MySQL to respond to TCP/IP on whatever port you choose to
run it on (default is something in the range of 3300 or so, I forget
the exact default).

Apache has nothing to do with either of those things.

Now... pros? You can access the server remotely.

Cons? Attackers can access the server remotely. Be sure you know what
you are doing and set up the security of the MySQL server correctly.
This is not a trivial task and if you get it wrong, somebody may
maliciously screw up your database.

Dragon

RE: [users@httpd] MYSQL Domain ?

Posted by Doug Harvey <oh...@gmail.com>.
Well, in all the years that I used to play with ms's sql, we always used
port numbers and then connected with odbc. With that in mind, you could
basically do the same thing in this case. If you wanted someone to be able
to connect, retrieve, write, delete records in a MySQL data base that you
are hosting, it would seem to me that it would be better to do it that way.

Having your SQL server advertised as a sub domain might could be a big
security risk because it would then be published as if it were a web site
and that would allow people to start cracking on it till it breaks.

If you use something like 123.123.123.123:3310 and you have it set up
through a VPN to the other sites that you want connection to, then that
would provide a ton more security.

Doug

  _____

Posted by Rob <bu...@gmail.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] MYSQL Domain ?

Posted by Danie Qian <da...@bestningning.com>.
this is the official website for the info you need http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/replication.html
at this point the time frame you are looking at is probably that of reading and getting to understand the solution and how to impliment it. once you grasp the idea it is no more than installing two mysql servers and set a few parameters.  have fun and good luck.
Posted by Rob <bu...@gmail.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] MYSQL Domain ?

Re: [users@httpd] MYSQL Domain ?

Posted by Rob <bu...@gmail.com>.