Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by "Vasudevan, Ramkrishna S" <ra...@intel.com> on 2016/01/08 12:06:16 UTC

Naive question

I have been trying to install, learn and understand Flink. I am using Scala- EclipseIDE as my IDE.

I have downloaded the flink source coded, compiled and created the project.

My work laptop is Windows based and I don't have eclipse based workstation but I do have linux boxes for running and testing things.

Some of the examples given in Flink source code do run directly from Eclipse but when I try to run the Wordcount example from Eclipse I get this error

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: scala.collection.immutable.HashSet$.empty()Lscala/collection/immutable/HashSet;
     at akka.actor.ActorCell$.<init>(ActorCell.scala:336)
     at akka.actor.ActorCell$.<clinit>(ActorCell.scala)
     at akka.actor.RootActorPath.$div(ActorPath.scala:159)
     at akka.actor.LocalActorRefProvider.<init>(ActorRefProvider.scala:464)
     at akka.actor.LocalActorRefProvider.<init>(ActorRefProvider.scala:452)
     at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
     at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
     at akka.actor.ReflectiveDynamicAccess$$anonfun$createInstanceFor$2.apply(DynamicAccess.scala:78)
     at scala.util.Try$.apply(Try.scala:191)
     at akka.actor.ReflectiveDynamicAccess.createInstanceFor(DynamicAccess.scala:73)
     at akka.actor.ReflectiveDynamicAccess$$anonfun$createInstanceFor$3.apply(DynamicAccess.scala:84)
     at akka.actor.ReflectiveDynamicAccess$$anonfun$createInstanceFor$3.apply(DynamicAccess.scala:84)
     at scala.util.Success.flatMap(Try.scala:230)
     at akka.actor.ReflectiveDynamicAccess.createInstanceFor(DynamicAccess.scala:84)
     at akka.actor.ActorSystemImpl.liftedTree1$1(ActorSystem.scala:585)
     at akka.actor.ActorSystemImpl.<init>(ActorSystem.scala:578)
     at akka.actor.ActorSystem$.apply(ActorSystem.scala:142)
     at akka.actor.ActorSystem$.apply(ActorSystem.scala:119)
     at akka.actor.ActorSystem$.create(ActorSystem.scala:67)
     at org.apache.flink.runtime.akka.AkkaUtils$.createActorSystem(AkkaUtils.scala:84)
     at org.apache.flink.runtime.minicluster.FlinkMiniCluster.startJobManagerActorSystem(FlinkMiniCluster.scala:196)
     at org.apache.flink.runtime.minicluster.FlinkMiniCluster.singleActorSystem$lzycompute$1(FlinkMiniCluster.scala:225)
     at org.apache.flink.runtime.minicluster.FlinkMiniCluster.org$apache$flink$runtime$minicluster$FlinkMiniCluster$$singleActorSystem$1(FlinkMiniCluster.scala:225)
     at org.apache.flink.runtime.minicluster.FlinkMiniCluster$$anonfun$1.apply(FlinkMiniCluster.scala:230)
     at org.apache.flink.runtime.minicluster.FlinkMiniCluster$$anonfun$1.apply(FlinkMiniCluster.scala:228)
     at scala.collection.TraversableLike$$anonfun$map$1.apply(TraversableLike.scala:245)
     at scala.collection.TraversableLike$$anonfun$map$1.apply(TraversableLike.scala:245)
     at scala.collection.immutable.Range.foreach(Range.scala:166)
     at scala.collection.TraversableLike$class.map(TraversableLike.scala:245)
     at scala.collection.AbstractTraversable.map(Traversable.scala:104)
     at org.apache.flink.runtime.minicluster.FlinkMiniCluster.start(FlinkMiniCluster.scala:228)
     at org.apache.flink.runtime.minicluster.FlinkMiniCluster.start(FlinkMiniCluster.scala:219)
     at org.apache.flink.streaming.api.environment.LocalStreamEnvironment.execute(LocalStreamEnvironment.java:104)
     at org.apache.flink.streaming.examples.wordcount.WordCount.main(WordCount.java:80)

I know this is a naïve question but I would like to get some help in order to over come this issue. I tried various options like setting scala-2.10 as the compiler for the project (then it shows completely different error) and many of the projects don't even compile. But with 2.11 version I get the above stack trace. Any help here is welcome.

Regards
Ram

Re: Naive question

Posted by Chiwan Park <ch...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Because I’m not user of Eclipse so I’m not sure but think that IDE Setup documentation [1] on Flink homepage could help you.

[1] https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/internals/ide_setup.html

Regards,
Chiwan Park

Re: Naive question

Posted by Chiwan Park <ch...@apache.org>.
You can import the project directly by using "File -> Import -> Maven -> Existing Maven Projects” menu.

Regards,
Chiwan Park

RE: Naive question

Posted by "Vasudevan, Ramkrishna S" <ra...@intel.com>.
This is scala IDE Release 4.4.0. So without doing mvn eclipse:eclipse - how to you import the project directly?

Regards
Ram
Because I tested with Scala IDE 4.3.0 only, the process in the documentation is slightly different with my experience.

> On Jan 12, 2016, at 8:21 PM, Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> @Chiwan: Is this still up to date from your experience?
>
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.10/internals
> /ide_setup.html
>
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Chiwan Park <ch...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ram,
>>
>> Because there are some Scala IDE (Eclipse) plugins needed, I
>> recommend to avoid `mvn eclipse:eclipse` command. Could you try just
>> run `mvn clean install -DskipTests` and import the project to Scala
>> IDE directly? In middle of importing process, Scala IDE suggests some plugins needed.
>>
>> And which version of Scala IDE you are using?
>>
>>> On Jan 12, 2016, at 7:58 PM, Vasudevan, Ramkrishna S <
>> ramkrishna.s.vasudevan@intel.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes. I added it as Maven project only. I did mvn eclipse:eclipse to
>> create the project and also built the code using mvn clean install
>> -DskipTests.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Ram

Regards,
Chiwan Park

Re: Naive question

Posted by Chiwan Park <ch...@apache.org>.
Because I tested with Scala IDE 4.3.0 only, the process in the documentation is slightly different with my experience.

> On Jan 12, 2016, at 8:21 PM, Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> @Chiwan: Is this still up to date from your experience?
>
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-0.10/internals/ide_setup.html
>
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Chiwan Park <ch...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ram,
>>
>> Because there are some Scala IDE (Eclipse) plugins needed, I recommend to
>> avoid `mvn eclipse:eclipse` command. Could you try just run `mvn clean
>> install -DskipTests` and import the project to Scala IDE directly? In
>> middle of importing process, Scala IDE suggests some plugins needed.
>>
>> And which version of Scala IDE you are using?
>>
>>> On Jan 12, 2016, at 7:58 PM, Vasudevan, Ramkrishna S <
>> ramkrishna.s.vasudevan@intel.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes. I added it as Maven project only. I did mvn eclipse:eclipse to
>> create the project and also built the code using mvn clean install
>> -DskipTests.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Ram

Regards,
Chiwan Park

Re: Naive question

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.

Re: Naive question

Posted by Chiwan Park <ch...@apache.org>.
Hi Ram,

Because there are some Scala IDE (Eclipse) plugins needed, I recommend to avoid `mvn eclipse:eclipse` command. Could you try just run `mvn clean install -DskipTests` and import the project to Scala IDE directly? In middle of importing process, Scala IDE suggests some plugins needed.

And which version of Scala IDE you are using?

> On Jan 12, 2016, at 7:58 PM, Vasudevan, Ramkrishna S <ra...@intel.com> wrote:
>
> Yes. I added it as Maven project only. I did mvn eclipse:eclipse to create the project and also built the code using mvn clean install -DskipTests.
>
> Regards
> Ram

Regards,
Chiwan Park

RE: Naive question

Posted by "Vasudevan, Ramkrishna S" <ra...@intel.com>.

Re: Naive question

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
Sorry to hear that it did not work out with Eclipse at all in the end, even
with all adjustments.

Just making sure: You imported Flink as a Maven project, not manually
adding the big Flink dependency JAR?

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 5:15 AM, Vasudevan, Ramkrishna S <
ramkrishna.s.vasudevan@intel.com> wrote:

> Thanks to all. I tried with Scala Eclipse IDE with all these
> 'change-scala-version.sh'. But in vain.
>
> So I switched over to Intellij and thing work fine over there. I am new to
> Intellij so will try using it.
>
> Once again thanks for helping me out.
>
> Regards
> Ram

RE: Naive question

If you want to build Flink with Scala 2.10, just checkout Flink repository from github or download source code from homepage, run `mvn clean install -DskipTests` and import projects to your IDE. If you want to build Flink with Scala 2.11, you have to run `tools/change-scala-version.sh 2.11` before build the project. You can revert Scala version change by running `tools/change-scala-version.sh 2.10`.

Regards,
Chiwan Park

Re: Naive question

Posted by Chiwan Park <ch...@apache.org>.
Hi Ram,

If you want to build Flink with Scala 2.10, just checkout Flink repository from github or download source code from homepage, run `mvn clean install -DskipTests` and import projects to your IDE. If you want to build Flink with Scala 2.11, you have to run `tools/change-scala-version.sh 2.11` before build the project. You can revert Scala version change by running `tools/change-scala-version.sh 2.10`.

About IDE, Flink community recommends IntelliJ IDEA because Scala IDE have some problems in Java/Scala mixed project like Flink. But I tested importing Flink project with Scala IDE 4.3.0, Scala 2.11.7 and Flink 0.10.0 source code. Note that you should import the project as maven project.

By the way, the community welcomes any questions. Please feel free to post questions. :)

> On Jan 11, 2016, at 7:30 PM, Vasudevan, Ramkrishna S <ra...@intel.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you very much for the reply.
> I tried different ways and when I tried setting up the root pom.xml to 2.11
>
> 		<scala.version>2.11.6</scala.version>
> 		<scala.binary.version>2.11</scala.binary.version>
>
> I got the following error
> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project flink-scala: Could not resolve depende
> ncies for project org.apache.flink:flink-scala:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT: Could not find
> artifact org.scalamacros:quasiquotes_2.11:jar:2.0.1 in central (http://repo.mave
> n.apache.org/maven2) -> [Help 1]
>
> If I leave the scala.binary.verson to be at 2.10 and the scala version to be at 2.11.6 then I get the following problem
> [INFO] C:\flink\flink\flink-runtime\src\test\scala:-1: info: compiling
> [INFO] Compiling 366 source files to C:\flink\flink\flink-runtime\target\test-cl
> asses at 1452508064750
> [ERROR] C:\flink\flink\flink-runtime\src\test\scala\org\apache\flink\runtime\job
> manager\JobManagerITCase.scala:700: error: can't expand macros compiled by previ
> ous versions of Scala
> [ERROR]               assert(cachedGraph2.isArchived)
> [ERROR]                                   ^
>
> So am not pretty sure how to proceed with this. If I try to change the version of scala to 2.10 in the IDE then I get lot of compilation issues.  IS there any way to over come this?
>
> Once again thanks a lot and apologies for the naïve question.
>
> Regards
> Ram

Regards,
Chiwan Park