Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by John Rose <JR...@foundationip.com> on 2007/08/31 20:45:47 UTC

User unknown in virtual alias table

We are using James in our Java application to email from our application
to our end-users.

We have a case where one of our clients is getting an error message like
shown below. I have replaced the actual email address with bogus
information, but the email address format using  '_' and '-' is accurate.
The only time we have gotten this error has been if there are _ or - in
the email address. The original email address supplied is legitimate.

I'm not sure what a virtual alias table is and if it coming from James or
the recipient's email server.

Any help that can provided is appreciated.

Thank you.

John Rose
Database Administrator

Hi. This is the James mail server at SERVER1.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.  Below
I include the list of recipients and the reason why I was unable to
deliver
your message.

xxxxx_yy-zzzzz@kkkkkkk.com
Remote mail server told me: 550 <xx...@kkkkkkk.com>: Recipient
address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table

The original message is attached.

privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee; access to this
email by anyone else is unauthorized.

If you are not the intended recipient: (1) you are kindly requested
to return a copy of this message to the sender indicating that you
have received it in error, and to destroy the received copy; and (2)
any disclosure or distribution of this message, as well as any action
taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on its content, is prohibited
and may be unlawful.

Re: User unknown in virtual alias table

Posted by John Rose <JR...@foundationip.com>.
I will verify and let you know. Thank you for your response.

John Rose
Database Administrator

FoundationIP - Part of CPA Software Solutions

Direct Dial:  +1 612-236-9917
Email: jrose@foundationip.com
Fax: +1 612-332-0080

Computer Patent Annuities North America LLC / FoundationIP
900 Second Avenue South Suite 1700
Minneapolis, MN 55402

CPA is the world's leading provider of outsourced IP services, For further
information about our products and services go to www.cpaglobal.com.

Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>
08/31/2007 03:47 PM
Please respond to
"James Users List" <se...@james.apache.org>

James Users List <se...@james.apache.org>
cc
Owen King <OK...@FoundationIP.com>, Derek Silver
<ds...@foundationip.com>
Subject
Re: User unknown in virtual alias table

Hi,

this error seems to look like an error of postfix.

Are you sure the remote server really accept emails for this address ?

Can you show us the remotedelivery log ?

bye
Norman

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi,