Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by nut <nu...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/27 20:36:53 UTC

Can't commit after deleting files from repository

I'm trying to delete some files from my repository. After "svn delete
<some file>", I get

D  <some file>

as expected, but when I try to commit, I get

svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: '<some file> is not under version control

What am I doing wrong? I've tried this several times, including a
fresh checkout, where the file I'm trying to delete is still there.
Using "svn status" does not show that there appears to be a problem
with the status of the file I'm trying to delete, such as deleted but
not committed.

Thanks!

Re: Can't commit after deleting files from repository

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Can you post a transcript of your shell session, starting from a fresh
checkout, and including the `svn status` output both before and after
running 'svm delete'?  What version of svn are you using?  Have you
tried 'svn commit' without any other arguments?

Posted by Lorenz <lo...@yahoo.com>.
Daniel Shahaf wrote:

>Lorenz wrote on Wed, May 02, 2012 at 06:40:03 +0000:
>> nut wrote:
>>
>> >I'm trying to delete some files from my repository. After "svn delete
>> ><some file>", I get
>> >
>> >D  <some file>
>> >
>> >as expected, but when I try to commit, I get
>> >
>> >svn: Commit failed (details follow):
>> >svn: '<some file> is not under version control
>>
>> looks like you are trying to 'svn commit <some file>'
>>
>> You need to commit the containing folder instead, because that's where
>> the deletion is recorded.
>
>What?
>
>% svn rm foo
>D         foo
>% svn ci -mm foo
>Deleting       foo
>
>Committed revision 4.

your right.

that teaches me (again) to try out everything before posting and to
not rely on memory alone.

sorry for the noice
--

Lorenz

Re: Can't commit after deleting files from repository

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Lorenz wrote on Wed, May 02, 2012 at 06:40:03 +0000:
> nut wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to delete some files from my repository. After "svn delete
> ><some file>", I get
> >
> >D  <some file>
> >
> >as expected, but when I try to commit, I get
> >
> >svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> >svn: '<some file> is not under version control
>
> looks like you are trying to 'svn commit <some file>'
>
> You need to commit the containing folder instead, because that's where
> the deletion is recorded.

What?

% svn rm foo
D         foo
% svn ci -mm foo
Deleting       foo

Committed revision 4.

Re: Can't commit after deleting files from repository

Posted by Lorenz <lo...@yahoo.com>.