Posted to dev@openwebbeans.apache.org by st...@yahoo.de on 2009/04/20 01:58:40 UTC

summary of todays IRC talk with Gurkan

Hiho!

This is a short summary about what Gurkan and I talked in IRC.

1.) The plugin code seems ok on the first glance. I now checked it into SVN.

What's in all those checkins I did the last 4 hours:
a) the webbeans-impl (core code) now doesn't contain any JSF nor JPA stuff anymore. This has been moved out to the webbeans-jpa and webbeans-jsf maven modules. We introduced a PluginLoader to make this possible. The modules can be activated by simply dropping the jars into the classpath :)
This works using the java.util.ServiceLoader [1] which parses files in META-INF/services of each jar (or directory) found in the classpath.

See PluginLoader and OpenWebBeansPlugin for further documentation.

2.) M2 will be built in ~ 3,4 weeks (2nd week of may). The time schedule roughly looks like the following:
Next week we will further 'externalise' non core functions from webbeans-impl, e.g. EJB stuff.
Afterwards we have to bring a lot of documentation up to date and do some code cleanup!
There is 1 additional week for bugfixing and as buffer for unexpected changes.

LieGrue,
strub

[1] http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jar/jar.html#Service%20Provider

Re: summary of todays IRC talk with Gurkan

Posted by Gurkan Erdogdu <gu...@yahoo.com>.
Hi;

It was a good conversation with Mark last night. And Mark's plugin idea is very good, thanks Mark!.

We will create a M2 version as Mark stated in his mail. Here, I will give a sketch of what topics/chapters that have not been implemented so far by the OpenWebBeans. Anyone could take any topics that he like to implement in the next milestone releases:)

There are 11 chapters and 1 appendix in the specification for implementation. Details as follows

chapter 2 -->   implemented
chapter 3 -->   REMAINING : 3.3 Session Beans, 3.6 Resources, 3.7 JMS Resources, 3.10 Common Annotations are not implemented. But, JPA entity managers related resources has been implementing by Mark. Mark, is it completed?
chapter 4 -->  REMAINING :  Some tests needed for spealization for the producer methods. Others are implemented.
chapter 5 --> implemented
chapter 6 -->  REMAINING : 6.5, 6.6, 6.11, 6.12 EJB + Servlet Beans, 6.9 Resources 6.10 JMS
chapter 7 --->  REMAINING : 7.8 JMS Mappings
chapter 8 -->  REMAINING : 8.4 Scope Passivation
chapter 9 --> partly implemented but lots of work needed
chapter10 --> implemented
chapter 11-->  REMAINING : 11.6 Activities
Appendix - A Interceptors and Decorators implemented.

As you see from the above, mostly Java EE related parts (EJB, JMS) are not implemented. Moreover, XML definition part is not implemented. But as Pete Muir said that EJB, XML , Interceptors and Decorators can be moved to the other specifications. EJB parts are heavily depends on EJB Container. EJB hooks is not enough for implementation.

For M2 release preparation, it seems that we will mostly work on testing the code and creating a documentation. It will be great if we have some examples that uses the OpenWebBeans implementation as an injection mechanism, for example Sample Wicket project. Currently we have simple JSF example it shows the injections and  using conversation context.

Another thing is that we have to update our web site. Because lots of code and therefore API has changed. It is great if we put some introductory documents into the wiki[1] or website[2] or blog[3].

I will work on the TCK integration for testing the parts of the specification that is implemented by the OWB. I will also try to create some documentation for our  wiki.

All comments are welcome.

Thanks;

Gurkan

[1]http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OWB/Index