Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Da...@Equifax.com on 2003/01/24 16:36:53 UTC

RE: [dbutils][OT]Test case approach

Excuse me for butting in here, but I've seen a couple of references to
OracleBugFixDriver and that has got my curiosity up. We are using Oracle 9i
in a web environment with OJB for persistence. We are using the latest
driver from Oracle (ojdbc14.jar) and we keep getting IO errors on our demo
server. I just couldn't help wondering what this OracleBugFixDriver is
fixing, and where it can be found.

Thanks,
Dave Derry

                      "Steven Caswell"
                      <steven@caswell.         To:      "'Henri Yandell'" <ba...@generationjava.com>, "'Jakarta Commons
                      name>                    Developers List'" <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
                                               cc:
                      01/24/2003 10:08         Subject: RE: [dbutils] Test case approach
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to "Jakarta
                      Commons
                      Developers List"

Sounds like option 4 could be written once and then configured for
different test cases. I suspect option 3 with a Mock object would
require more per-test effort. If this is the case, I'd definitely go for
option 4. And for driver-specific tests (i.e., OracleBugFixDriver), I'd
expect to have to write one-off tests for that anyway.

Do you already have a TestDriver written? I can take a shot at an
initial cut if not.

Have you put together a TestDriver scenario for the ResultSet wrapper?
If not, I can take a shot at that one also.

Steven Caswell
steven@caswell.name

RE: [dbutils][OT]Test case approach

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
It's a hypothetical example of mine :)

There are some 'bugs' in Oracle's driver.

Ones I know of:

TIMESTAMP fields in the db are painful to work with without using Oracle's
specific timestamp class. This could be fixed to make the
java.sql.Timestamp map to Oracle's TIMESTAMP properly.

Getting Primary Keys for a table. The last column throws an Exception, so
you have to make sure you don't get the last column out of the primary key
result set.

ResultSet.isLast is not implemented.

By wrapping the real oracle driver in a bugfix driver that dealt with the
above and more, I could ignore the bugs and pretend I have a working
driver :) At the moment I just code around the bugs.

Hen