Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com> on 2012/08/02 09:11:25 UTC

Re: ApacheCon EU CFP is open

Hi,

I do not know how many presentation will be potentially accepted. I
would assume that there is not that much room for more than one
presentation from each podling but that is just a guess. We will see.

Okay then, I will submit a proposal for an overview talk about Stanbol
which is lead by use cases and scenarios where Stanbol may be a
helpful framework for people, as Tommaso suggested.

Best,
 - Fabian

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: ApacheCon EU CFP is open

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.
Hi,

To have the Linked Data track I don't think we should limit the
presentations to one per podling. After all most LD related projects are
still incubating.

Cheers,
Reto

Re: ApacheCon EU CFP is open

Posted by Sebastian Schaffert <se...@salzburgresearch.at>.
Hi Reto,

comments inline. ;-)

Am 03.08.2012 um 12:54 schrieb Reto Bachmann-Gmür:

> I agree that clerezza should finally have tha fastlane for sparql query,
> the current approach makes only sense if a query is against graphs from
> multiple backends. This is definitively a bottle neck now.
>
> What puzzles me is that you seem to think that the sesame api is cleaner
> than the clerezza one. The clerezza api was introduced as non of the api
> available would model the rdf abstract syntax without tying additional
> concepts and utility classes into the core. If you find anything that's not
> clean I'd like to address this.

Essentially, Sesame already provides many of the things Clerezza promises, and it is well proven, established, and highly performant. So I don't completely understand the rationale of reinventing the wheel with Clerezza.

I also don't understand your argument of tying additional concepts and utility classes into the core. Clerezza implements utility classes in the same way as Sesame, so where is the difference? Additionally, the Sesame utility classes simply extend the Java core functionality (e.g. with iterators that can throw checked exceptions).

One aspect I like about the Sesame API is its completely modular structure at several levels. This allows me to easily and cleanly add functionality as needed, e.g.:
- a custom triple store like the one I described before; you can e.g. easily provide a Jena TDB backend for Sesame (see http://sjadapter.sourceforge.net/)
- a custom SPARQL implementation that allows a very efficient native evaluation; at the same time, Sesame provides me an abstract syntax tree and completely frees me from all the nasty parsing stuff and implements the latest SPARQL specification for queries, updates and federation extensions without me having to actually care
- a very clean Java SPI based approach for registering RDF parsers and serializers that can operate natively on the respective triple store implementations
- easily wrap filters around triple stores or iterators
You can easily see the modularity by looking at the many Maven artifacts the project is composed off. Essentially, if I don't need a functionality I can simply leave it out, and if I need it, adding it is a no-brainer.

In addition, the Sesame data model is completely based on lightweight interfaces instead of wrapper objects. This makes it very easy to provide efficient implementations and is IMHO very clean. In contrast, Clerezza provides its complete own RDF model based on your own version of a triple, your own version of a node, your own version of a URI, …

What I am missing from Clerezza:
- a lightweight data model that does not require additional instances in main memory
- a good reuse of functionality that is already there, e.g. direct SPARQL, transactions, …
- support for named graphs / contexts
- support for SPARQL Update
- new TripleImpl(…) is a Java anti-pattern. If something is called …Impl it should not be instantiated with new.

I have been working with RDF APIs for about 10 years now in various programming languages (even in Prolog, Haskell and Python). And my conclusion at the moment is that Sesame by far offers the most convenient API for a developer. But I am of course open to switching in case I get convincing arguments. ;-)

> It seems that what you are using of sesame is mainly the spi/api and not
> the actual triple store. This is definitively something clerezza should
> have a good offer for.

So convince me why it is BETTER than the established project ;-)

> When I last looked at it sesame was not ready to be used in apache
> projects, not sure if license issues are the cause of it not being
> available in maven central.

Sesame is under a BSD license, so it should be compatible with Apache projects:

http://www.openrdf.org/download.jsp

The main issue might be that it is not yet completely OSGi compatible (at least not on a per-component level).

If it is indeed not compatible with Apache projects, it should be easy to contact the developers and simply ask them whether this can be changed.

Greetings,

Sebastian

Re: ApacheCon EU CFP is open

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.
[...]

Re: ApacheCon EU CFP is open

Posted by Sebastian Schaffert <se...@salzburgresearch.at>.
Hi Tommaso,

> [...]

>>> would assume that there is not that much room for more than one
>>> presentation from each podling but that is just a guess. We will see.
>>>
>>> Okay then, I will submit a proposal for an overview talk about Stanbol
>>> which is lead by use cases and scenarios where Stanbol may be a
>>> helpful framework for people, as Tommaso suggested.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> - Fabian

>> subset of
>> attention.

>>> --
>>> Fabian
>>> http://twitter.com/fctwitt
>>
>> Sebastian
>> --
>> | Dr. Sebastian Schaffert          sebastian.schaffert@salzburgresearch.at
>> | Salzburg Research Forschungsgesellschaft  http://www.salzburgresearch.at
>> | Head of Knowledge and Media Technologies Group          +43 662 2288 423

Sebastian

Re: ApacheCon EU CFP is open

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebastian,

Re: ApacheCon EU CFP is open

Posted by Sebastian Schaffert <se...@salzburgresearch.at>.
Dear all,

> [...]

>>    * As a result, the admin would have a semantically enhanced Solr
>>      index considering in terms health domain and he can use the index
>>      directly through its RESTful API.
>>
>> I hope the use case is clear. What do you think?
>>
>> Best,
>> Suat
>>
>> [1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7n6aRFcn1U
>>

>> On 07/31/2012 11:40 AM, Rupert Westenthaler wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think I will go than for a presentation about how to use the Stanbol
>>> Enhancer to link Linked Data Entities.
>>>
>>> * Intro
>>> * NER vs. KeywordExtraction (typical Chain configurations, used
>>> Enhancement Engines
>>> * Indexing Datasets for the Entityhub
>>> * Managing Entities via the RESTful Interface (Entityhub Managed Sites)
>>>
>>> This assumes that there is also a more general overview about Stanbol

Sebastian