Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/26 01:21:50 UTC

Documentation issues

Hi!  I downloaded ZooKeeper to have a look around after reading the
Hacker School POTW [1].

It looks like the documentation could use a bit of work, particularly
for new users and for compliance with the branding requirements [2].

I already fixed the top level README.txt file (thanks Camille!) which
said 'ZooKeeper' rather than 'Apache ZooKeeper' but looking further,
the per-version docs included in the .tar.gz have the same issue:
http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/

I'm also attempting to follow the getting started documentation as a
naive new user, and would like to make some improvements so that it
passes the "10 minute test".  (Can I install it and do something
interesting in under 10 minutes?)

So far, I'm stuck on
  http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.5.0-alpha/zookeeperStarted.html
which says "You will see log messages coming to the console (default)"
-- but that doesn't happen.  After copying the config file,
bin/zkServer.sh start simply returned me to a prompt.  And the link in
that paragraph to "Logging" goes to
  http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.5.0-alpha/zookeeperProgrammers.html#Logging
which has no mention of logging at all.

See the problem? :)  Note that I am not complaining -- this is the
kind of thing I enjoy figuring out and fixing.  All I need is someone
to a) confirm that such fixes will be welcome, and b) answer some
questions along the way.

So... any thoughts on this?  I'll keep looking around and at least
patch the branding stuff.

[1] https://www.hackerschool.com/blog/49-paper-of-the-week-the-chubby-lock-service-for-loosely-coupled-distributed-systems
[2] http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html

--
Wendy

Re: Documentation issues

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 7:30 PM, Camille Fournier <ca...@apache.org> wrote:

> Go forth and update. I'll do my best to keep up and answer questions.

You're off the hook, for now at least. :) It took so long to chase
down the documentation logistics and patch the project branding that
I'm out of time to actually play with it.  Hopefully ZOOKEEPER-2070
will improve that for the next potential contributor who wanders by.
I appreciate the offer, though!

-Wendy

Re: Documentation issues

Posted by Camille Fournier <ca...@apache.org>.