Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Al Maw <wi...@almaw.com> on 2007/06/19 19:16:24 UTC

VOTE: Rename AjaxSubmitButton to AjaxButton

As subject. See other thread for discussion.

[ ] Yes, rename AjaxSubmitButton to AjaxButton, leaving behind a
     @deprecated subclass for backwards-compatibility.

[ ] No, that's a crazy idea. We're frozen for 1.3.0 and this sort of
     stuff shouldn't change this late in the day.

Thanks,

Al

--
Alastair Maw
Wicket-biased blog at http://herebebeasties.com

Re: VOTE: Rename AjaxSubmitButton to AjaxButton

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Sullivan <se...@seansullivan.com>.

Posted by Janne Hietamäki <ja...@apache.org>.
Go ahead.

Posted by Al Maw <wi...@almaw.com>.
Eelco Hillenius wrote:
> [ x ] Yes, rename AjaxSubmitButton to AjaxButton, leaving behind a
>      @deprecated subclass for backwards-compatibility.
>
> [ ] No, that's a crazy idea. We're frozen for 1.3.0 and this sort of
>      stuff shouldn't change this late in the day.

OK, this is done, along with IndicatingAjaxSubmitButton ->
IndicatingAjaxButton in wicket-extensions.

Regards,

Al

Re: VOTE: Rename AjaxSubmitButton to AjaxButton

Posted by Frank Bille <fr...@gmail.com>.
On 6/19/07, Al Maw <wi...@almaw.com> wrote:

> As subject. See other thread for discussion.
>
> [x] Yes, rename AjaxSubmitButton to AjaxButton, leaving behind a
>      @deprecated subclass for backwards-compatibility.
>
> [ ] No, that's a crazy idea. We're frozen for 1.3.0 and this sort of
>      stuff shouldn't change this late in the day.

Frank

Re: VOTE: Rename AjaxSubmitButton to AjaxButton

Posted by Al Maw <wi...@almaw.com>.
Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
> +0
>
> The Javadoc says: "A button that  submits the form via ajax".  And
> the callback method is called onSubmit().
>
> So even if you rename the  class (which is a very costly operation
> in  a framework),  it won't  be sufficient  to eradicate  the term
> "submit".
>
> I understand that you want to streamline the name with Button, but
> actually I  would vote  to rename Button  to SubmitButton.   I was
> recently  doing pair  programming with  a colleague,  and we  were
> stupidly looking  for "SubmitButton" and  wondered why it  was not
> showing up.  It was the obvious class name we thought...

Yeah, me too. But then some vocal folk around here need to rewrite half
their book. ;-)

I imagine far more people are using Button that AjaxSubmitButton, is the
point - this strikes me as the smallest change possible to at least
restore some semblance of consistency.

Al

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
See how confused we are? :)

Seriously, if we can't agree on it, we should just pick the shortest names ;)

Eelco

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.