Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Gaurav Kushwaha <ga...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/28 02:46:31 UTC

Multiproject property overriding.

Hi have a multiproject and multiple sub projects. I have a property
that is defined in each sub project. But occasionally I want to
override it by changing it only in the master project's
project.properties.
So essentially I have "project.version" property in each project's
project.properties file. And I want to override that property in all
the projects just by making that change in the master project's
project.properties file.
Is it possible ? I tried doing it. Wasn't able to.
Will appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Gaurav.

Re: Multiproject property overriding.

Posted by Gaurav Kushwaha <ga...@gmail.com>.
But the point of contention here is the properties specified in
${basedir1}/project.properties and ${basedir2}/build.properties where
${basedir1} is the project root of the sub project and ${basedir2} is
the root of the multiproject project root. My pic was that
${basedir2}/build.properties should override the properties mentioned
in earlier file.

Thanks,
Gaurav.

--
http://www.gauravkushwaha.com

Re: Multiproject property overriding.

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Adam Hardy <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Edwin Punzalan on 28/06/05 10:57, wrote:
> I will be quoting the maven site:
> http://maven.apache.org/reference/properties.html
>
> The properties files in Maven are processed in the following order:
>
>   1. Built-in properties are processed
>   2. |${basedir}/project.properties| (|basedir| is replaced by the
>      directory where the |project.xml| file in use resides)
>   3. |${basedir}/build.properties|
>   4. |${user.home}/build.properties|
>   5. System properties

I always wanted to know: what's the purpose of having project.properties
AND build.properties? Is it purely for ease of conversion from ant?

Adam

Re: Multiproject property overriding.

Posted by Edwin Punzalan <ep...@exist.com>.
I will be quoting the maven site:
http://maven.apache.org/reference/properties.html

The properties files in Maven are processed in the following order:

   1. Built-in properties are processed
   2. |${basedir}/project.properties| (|basedir| is replaced by the
      directory where the |project.xml| file in use resides)
   3. |${basedir}/build.properties|
   4. |${user.home}/build.properties|
   5. System properties

The last definition takes precedence, so |${user.home}/build.properties|
will override anything specified in a project, and properties given on
the command line using |-D| will override everything.

Posted by Gaurav Kushwaha <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Edwin Punzalan <ep...@exist.com>.