Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org> on 2004/06/06 22:13:53 UTC

[Discuss] Website

Hello devs,

after spending again some hours in trying to update our site I think
that the only way to make *everything work* would be to create it again
from scratch.

I got the skin running and working fine [1] but still have *heaps* of
problems to build the whole site without any errors. The other thing is
the menu structure: that *should be* for each tab but so far it is for
the whole site. I figured out that the actual problem is described in
the thread (and follow ups)
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=forrest-user@xml.apache.org&msgNo=18.

I think a good idea for doing for building the site from scratch would
be to seperate the actual site form the documentation. IMO that are 2
independent sites anyway.

That would make:
site 1) Project Information | installation (IMO that should be part of
the docu) | community

site 2) documenation

I think we can have an "external link" for the docu within site1 and as
well vice versa for site2.

One major argument to do so would be that we can work on integrating the
docu within lenya pub structure to edit it with an editor. Maybe we can
make it work that everyone that have an instance of lenya can commit to
the documentation through their local lenya. The common information that
do not have to be edited everyday stand apart. I refer to site1 here
that is as well the reason I think "installation" should be part of
documentation.

So *please* give me some input on that! BTW I hope to commit the site I
came up with so far ASAP that other devs may see some issues that I am
not aware of.

WDYT?

King regards
thorsten

[1] to try the skin do the following:
1) forrest seed
2) edit forrest.properties and change:
project.skin=lenya-site-dev
forrest.skins.descriptors=http://www.apache.org/~thorsten/whiteboard/forrestskins/skins.xml
3) forrest
...then you have the sample forrest (fresh site) with the lenya-skin.
--
<thorsten>
  <name>Thorsten Scherler</name>

<@c...@cocoon-WIKI>
  <http>http://www.target-x.de</http>
  <motto>
	"My task which I am trying to achieve is,
	by the power of the written word,
	[...] to make you see."
	*Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)*
  </motto>
</thorsten>

Re: [Discuss] Website

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> as to making the files editable in lenya, that was the original plan
> which led us into the mess with dependencies on ancient forrest
> versions ;)

I know and suffer from that ;-)

> at this stage i would be hesitant to put in efforts outside of doco.

Jupp, I will focus on bringing back the ability to do regular updates of
the site with minimal effort. The seperation is now really useful to
capsulate the problems.

Roadmap:
1) get the website deployable *without* any errors.
2) commit that after the release-> that would mean that docs-new will be
gone!
3) introduce the forrestbot to do the updates for us
//towards doco -> future music
4) if we are happy with that, try to make the site editable independent
form lenya pub structure
5) introduce lenya workflow to 4.

1/2 have top priority! I will focus *only* on this in my spare time.
If I finished 1/2: 3 are nice to have in the future because the whole
process should be automated!
*After 3*: 4-5 are the first steps towards doco!

The problem of our accient forrest is more a problem of the internal
linking of the documents. If I knew much more of forrest I reckon it
would be easy to write a sitemap_06_update.xmap and resolve the linking
mess without touching it. But since I am far form being the forrest
wizzard I have to go step by step (like the new kids on the block song
-> LOL). ...maybe not so bad afterall ;-). Then we will have a clean
solution. For the future changes of forrest I will keep in touch with
them and upgrade on a regular basis that the situation *hopefully* will
not repeat anymore.

...I will write down a How-to of writing and linking documentation with
forrest for lenya.

> -gregor

King regards
thorsten

--
Thorsten Scherler

Departamento de Desarrollo de Proyectos
Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la InformaciĆ³n S.A.U.

Re: [Discuss] Website

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Scherler, Thorsten wrote:

> One major argument to do so would be that we can work on integrating the
> docu within lenya pub structure to edit it with an editor. Maybe we can
> make it work that everyone that have an instance of lenya can commit to
> the documentation through their local lenya. The common information that
> do not have to be edited everyday stand apart. I refer to site1 here
> that is as well the reason I think "installation" should be part of
> documentation.

whatever it takes. if you determined that splitting docs and the rest
into 2 sites makes it easier, +1 from me.

http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: [Discuss] Website

Posted by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org>.
I just tried the instructions I gave you and figured out that the
lenya-site-dev skin seems to have problems. If so try
project.skin=lenya-site instead.

king regards
thorsten