Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Anshuman Ghosh <an...@terriblytinytales.com> on 2017/11/01 20:11:26 UTC

Building news feed of social app using kafka

Hello!

I am currently designing a social app (with the whole gamut of users
following each other and personal feeds - consisting of posts by those you
follow). To implement this "news feed" for each user, I was considering
having a Kafka stream/topic per user.

Given that our intention is to get 1M+ users on the app, is this a good
idea to have 1 topic per user, thus ending up with a million topics?

Thanks and regards,
Anshuman

Re: Building news feed of social app using kafka

Posted by Svante Karlsson <sv...@csi.se>.
Nope, that's the wrong design. It does not scale. You would end up in a
wide and shallow thing. To few messages per partition to make sense. You
want many thousands per partition per second to amortize the consumer to
broker round-trip.