Posted to dev@commonsrdf.apache.org by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> on 2015/05/15 11:15:47 UTC

workflow for publishing the site?

Hi,

I have a question regarding how we're supposed to manage the site
publishing, because:

* Currently we have the version from the HEAD (from the commits log I think
Stian published it with the latest patches on the user guide)

* My initial idea was to keep published the version from the release tag,
which will have the right version on the navbar and the precise javadocs,
but then we'd miss the latest content (such as user guide or download
section).

* But if we publish the current HEAD the version would not match, neither
the javadocs with the latest release.

So I'm not sure how to proceed... This question is particularly
to Benedikt; how other components do it?

Thanks in advance.

--
Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager

Re: workflow for publishing the site?

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello,

> I have a question regarding how we're supposed to manage the site
> publishing, because:
>
> * Currently we have the version from the HEAD (from the commits log I think
> Stian published it with the latest patches on the user guide)
>
> * My initial idea was to keep published the version from the release tag,
> which will have the right version on the navbar and the precise javadocs,
> but then we'd miss the latest content (such as user guide or download
> section).
>
> * But if we publish the current HEAD the version would not match, neither
> the javadocs with the latest release.
>
> So I'm not sure how to proceed... This question is particularly
> to Benedikt; how other components do it?

We don't have a guide line for this. The problem of most recent
documentation vs. latest release documentation comes up every once in a
while. Since we never agreed on one way, every component does it it's own
way. A lot of components simply add the JavaDocs of past releases to the
website (for example math and lang). Commons Compress even has an archive
of old release web sites.
For lang I usually publish the website after a release from the release
tag. Then after a while when a lot has changed, I simply publish from HEAD.

If you want to push only from the release tag, the devil is in the details:
Usually the release tag should be the same as the RC tag which passed the
release vote. But what do you add as release date to changes.xml? You can
only know the exact release date after the vote has passed. But changes.xml
is used to generate the changes report on the website. So you can't set it
when the tag is created, but you need it in the tag to create the website
after the release.
Further more, what about the scm information in pom.xml? Sure the release
tag's pom should point to the tag URL. But the information is also used for
generating the source repository report. And the website should point the
HEAD because we assume that contributors use the location to create their
patches.
So if you want to publish from the tag, you end up checking out the tag but
you will have to modify some of the files to create the website. And that
is probably, why we could never agree on one way for all components :-)

HTH,
Benedikt

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/