Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk> on 2003/02/21 23:47:54 UTC

Win32 Command line length problem

The command line run.bat in CVS does not work at present, due to too many jars
making the classpath longer than DOS can handle as an environment variable.

Does anyone know how to extend the allowable length of an environment variable, or
how to get java to start by passing the classpath in some other way?

It is possible to pick out just the jars that are needed, but that breaks as soon as
someone updates a jar.

Would it be reasonable to use Ant to start Cocoon, as Ant can be give Cocoon its
classpath in a sensible way?

Or have the build process create a libs directory specifically for the command line,
only giving those libs that the command line needs?

Thoughts?

I'd like to get the command line to work for both the source and binary distributions,
and this is one of the things that's in the way at the moment.

Upayavira

RE: Win32 Command line length problem

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.
In Win2K, I endwed up writing a small bootstrap program that
created a URLClassLoader, loaded all jars into it, and started Cocoon.

/LS

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
On Friday, February 21, 2003, at 10:47 PM, Upayavira wrote:

> The command line run.bat in CVS does not work at present, due to too
> many jars
> making the classpath longer than DOS can handle as an environment
> variable.
>
> Does anyone know how to extend the allowable length of an environment
> variable, or
> how to get java to start by passing the classpath in some other way?

Strange answering this, being the Mac aficionado that I am .... ;)

I seem to remember running into this problem ages ago when I had to
work on a PC for a while.

Get 'Properties' on your .bat file, and up all of the memory
allocations?

Hope this helps

regards Jeremy