Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Olivier Serve <ol...@bull.net> on 2007/12/10 19:25:01 UTC

Meta-Project and module sharing

Hello \o_

We have a big project with a custom ant-based build system but it's a pain to maintain.
So, I'm taking a look at maven2 to see if it fits our requirements.

Today, we have 7 separate components (different servers) that use some shared libraries (utilities, protocol implementations, clients...).
Each component or library has its own 'project'. A typical project has the following layout:
Project
 |- src/
 |- classes/
 |- conf/
 |- www/
 |- libs/
 `- build.xml and config properties

All the libraries used by a component are 'linked' under libs/ using an svn:externals property.
This allows us to share the libraries in the SVN repository and at the same time just checkout a component as an Eclipse project to get
all the libraries it depends on.

I'd like to mimic that behaviour using maven2.
I thought i could use the 'modules' structure :
Component
 |- component/
 |   `- pom.xml
 |- lib1/
 |   `- pom.xml
 |- lib2/
 |   `- pom.xml
 `- pom.xml
using the same svn:externals as before for the libs.
However, it seems the modules MUST refer to their parent in their pom.xml.
As the libraries are shared amongst the components, that's not feasible for them.

Is there a way to work around that or is it total stupidity ?

Actually, we have component -> library and library -> library dependencies.
Maybe there is a better way to define dependencies that I don't know ?

Thanks for any reply _o/
--
Olivier SERVE