Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by "Brown, Carlton" <Ca...@compucredit.com> on 2008/02/08 17:04:19 UTC

Options for using Ivy to maintain Eclipse classpath

Hi all,

I have seen a couple of different options out there for using Ivy to
maintain an Eclipse classpath - IvyDE, eclim, etc.   What is the most
current and accepted technique for doing this?

Thanks,

Carlton

Re: Options for using Ivy to maintain Eclipse classpath

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@anyware-tech.com>.
Le 9 févr. 08 à 11:32, Matthias Kilian a écrit :

> On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 08:46:23AM +1030, Michael Terrington wrote:
>>> I have seen a couple of different options out there for using Ivy to
>>> maintain an Eclipse classpath - IvyDE, eclim, etc.   What is the
>>> most
>>> current and accepted technique for doing this?
>>
>> I use http://trac.sarugo.org/ant-eclipse which generates .project and
>> .classpath for basic Java projects, but doesn't handle plug-in (or
>> other) projects.
>
> The problem with generated .project and .classpath is that you've
> can't put them into your source control system, else you'll get
> tons of bogus commits. This may not be a problem if a single person
> works on a project, but it is a problem for larger teams.

The problem is that each developer doesn't have the same machine
configuration. Just think about Windows vs MacOS vs Linux paths. With
my colleagues we all agree to not share .project and .classpath, but
we share the way we are generating them. So across the developers we
don't have the exact verbatim configuration files, but we all develop
with the same build system (well, in the ideal world, because some
still have funky classpath which generate inevitable periodic endless
discussions :p).

Nicolas

Re: Options for using Ivy to maintain Eclipse classpath

Posted by Matthias Kilian <ki...@outback.escape.de>.
On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 08:46:23AM +1030, Michael Terrington wrote:
> >I have seen a couple of different options out there for using Ivy to
> >maintain an Eclipse classpath - IvyDE, eclim, etc.   What is the most
> >current and accepted technique for doing this?
>
> I use http://trac.sarugo.org/ant-eclipse which generates .project and
> .classpath for basic Java projects, but doesn't handle plug-in (or
> other) projects.

The problem with generated .project and .classpath is that you've
can't put them into your source control system, else you'll get
tons of bogus commits. This may not be a problem if a single person
works on a project, but it is a problem for larger teams.

Ciao,
	Kili

Re: Options for using Ivy to maintain Eclipse classpath

Posted by Michael Terrington <mi...@terrington.id.au>.
Hi Carlton,

Brown, Carlton wrote:
> I have seen a couple of different options out there for using Ivy to
> maintain an Eclipse classpath - IvyDE, eclim, etc.   What is the most
> current and accepted technique for doing this?

I use http://trac.sarugo.org/ant-eclipse which generates .project and
.classpath for basic Java projects, but doesn't handle plug-in (or
other) projects.

Regards,
Michael.

RE: Options for using Ivy to maintain Eclipse classpath

Posted by "Fernandes, Gerard" <ge...@lehman.com>.
IvyDE is the most elegant solution. However, it is quite flaky - i.e.
not as polished as the Maven 2 classpath container.

If you can use the last stable version (1.4x) of IvyDE, you'll probably
be ok. Even that version is flaky and can routinely corrupt your
classpath (fixable by right-clicking on the IvyDE classpath item node
and selecting "Refresh") or cause Eclipse to hang (fixable by killing
Eclipse, deleting the IvyDE plugin, restarting Eclipse, turning
auto-compile off and re-installing the IvyDE plugin).

If you want smooth integration, an Ant task with XSL is currently the
most reliable way to generate Eclipse classpaths. This strategy will
necessarily involve and extra setup step in your project.

In the end, what works best for you is what is recommended.

Gerard Fernandes