Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Kristian Waagan <Kr...@Sun.COM> on 2006/01/10 09:45:57 UTC

Incorrect Javadoc for NetworkServerControl.logConnections()?

Hello,

While investigating a little around logging of connections, I found that
the Javadoc of NetworkServerControl.logConnections(boolean) states that
a message is printed to derby.log when a connection is made or closed. I
do not observe this when connecting/disconnecting to/from a network
server with ij. Only when connecting is a message printed (if connection
logging is enabled).

Is the Javadoc incorrect?
(I found the Javadoc when searching the site with the top-right
search-box hunting for an answer to the question raised on derby-user)

As a side note, should all references to Cloudscape be removed?
This is printed in derby.log:
2006-01-10 08:43:07.189 GMT Thread[DRDAConnThread_5,5,main] (DATABASE =
testDB), (DRDAID = {4}), Cloudscape Network Server connected to database
testDB

--
Kristian

Re: Incorrect Javadoc for NetworkServerControl.logConnections()?

Posted by Kristian Waagan <Kr...@Sun.COM>.
Bryan Pendleton wrote:
> Kristian Waagan wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> While investigating a little around logging of connections, I found
>> that the Javadoc of NetworkServerControl.logConnections(boolean)
>> states that a message is printed to derby.log when a connection is
>> made or closed. I do not observe this when connecting/disconnecting
>> to/from a network server with ij. Only when connecting is a message
>> printed (if connection logging is enabled).
>

> I agree with your analysis. The Network Server appears to only log
> connections, not disconnections, and so the line in
> http://db.apache.org/derby/javadoc/publishedapi/org/apache/derby/drda/NetworkServerControl.html
>
> which says
>
>   # derby.drda.logConnections=true: This property turns on logging of
> connections
>     and disconnections. Default is connections are not logged.
>
> seems inaccurate, and should be changed to remove "and disconnections".
>
> This same doc also appears to exist at:
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/adminguide/radminconfigdb2jdrdalogconnections.html
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.0/manuals/admin/hubprnt23.html
> and http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/adminguide/tadminlogfile.html
>
> So we should fix it in all these places, I think.

Thank you very much for your feedback, Bryan.

> I suppose that the alternative would be to modify the Network Server
> so that it logs disconnections; I could see situations where that would
> be useful. If we do that, we should probably also investigate
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-292 and
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-293 at the same time, as they
> seem related (and would have helped the original user, I think, who was
> trying to figure out if his connection pooling was working or not).

I agree with you that logging disconnections could be helpful, and that
the two issues mentioned have value. At the present time, I have not
seen anyone itching for them. I will add a Jira entry for the
documentation fixes, and if it is not picked up by someone in a little
while I will do the work involved. This task is a small one, and should
be completed in a short time to avoid confusing users.

I suppose we will see more releases for 10.1, but should we change the
docs for 10.0 as well?
(I haven't seen any info on upcoming releases lately)

If there is more support for logging of disconnections, we must add a
Jira issue for this as well (and perhaps a subtask of updating the
documentation again for the current release and links to DERBY-292/293).

Should we consider adding logging of disconnections, or does anyone see
reasons not to do it?

--
Kristian

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>.