Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Karl-Heinz Zengerle <ka...@sawag.com> on 2004/03/15 16:42:05 UTC

can't open workbook

Hi world,

When our application processed the following command

      this.oiWB = new HSSFWorkbook(fs);

the exception below is thrown.

Method)
      at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorA
ccessorImpl.java:39)
      at
sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingCons
tructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
      at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:274)
      at
org.apache.poi.hssf.record.RecordFactory.createRecord(RecordFactory.java
:257)
      at
org.apache.poi.hssf.record.RecordFactory.createRecords(RecordFactory.jav
a:193)
      at
org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook.<init>(HSSFWorkbook.java:207)
      at
org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook.<init>(HSSFWorkbook.java:174)
<-- POI
      at webCRT.XlCRTImport.<init>(XlCRTImport.java:120)
<-- our application
      at webCRT.XlCRTImport.importCRTFile(XlCRTImport.java:324)
      at webCRT.XlCRTTstImp.TestImportFiles(XlCRTTstImp.java:275)
      at webCRT.XlCRTImport.main(XlCRTImport.java:186)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Illegal length
      at
org.apache.poi.util.StringUtil.getFromUnicodeHigh(StringUtil.java:114)
      at
org.apache.poi.hssf.record.FontRecord.fillFields(FontRecord.java:172)
      at org.apache.poi.hssf.record.Record.fillFields(Record.java:127)
      at org.apache.poi.hssf.record.Record.<init>(Record.java:92)
      at
org.apache.poi.hssf.record.FontRecord.<init>(FontRecord.java:125)
      ... 12 more

Does anybody have an idea of possible reasons? Opening the workbook is
the first POI action. So it can't be in our application.

Since several months small files where all sheets are visible and not
locked in any way the application runs without problems. Now the Excel
file has grown very much (around our basic handling) and some sheets are
hidden and some sheets are locked.

Regards,
Karl-Heinz Zengerle

AW: AW: AW: can't open workbook

Posted by Karl-Heinz Zengerle <ka...@sawag.com>.
Hi Srinadh.

What commands did you use for running it outside Eclipse?

Unfortunately then the debugger which is so good and so much time-safing
will not be useable. Where you narrowing down the problem with
System.out.prinln() a lot?

Regards,	Karl-Heinz.

Posted by Srinadh Karumuri <sk...@bbn.com>.
BTW,

AW: AW: AW: AW: can't open workbook

Posted by Karl-Heinz Zengerle <ka...@sawag.com>.
Hi Rob.

It's passing the critical point now (run/debug; tab where you can set
the parameter; vm args: -Xmx256m).

Thanks to everybody for the big help,

Karl-Heinz.

Posted by Karl-Heinz Zengerle <ka...@sawag.com>.
Hi Rob.

Then I'll test it a.s.a.p. and report the result.

Thanks,	Karl-Heinz.

RE: AW: AW: AW: can't open workbook

Posted by Robert Lowe <rm...@rmlowe.com>.

-

Posted by Karl-Heinz Zengerle <ka...@sawag.com>.
Thanks Avik.

I've understood.

For debugging reasons I use a main() whereas from the JSP page it starts
at a deeper level. So I look what can be set there.

Where I can set the parameters there's also a field VM arguments. This
seems to be the fitting one.

As soon as I've tested it I'll report about the result.

Regards,	Karl-Heinz.

Posted by Avik Sengupta <av...@itellix.com>.

AW: AW: AW: can't open workbook

Re: AW: AW: can't open workbook