Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Jim O'Neill <jp...@ibm.net> on 2000/06/13 14:32:23 UTC

thread issue when synchonizing locale (resend)

Sorry, for the resend, but I haven't heard back from anyone and am hoping the second send will elicit some responses.

Thanks,
Jim

======

Hi,

Our application is running into some thread deadlocks having to do with a
block on the Locale object (detected with JProbe). Looking at the code in
XALAN, I saw that there is a synchronized(locale) block in
ElemNumber.getNumberFormatter. I'm not entirely sure that this is the cause
of the block, but it seems like it is unsafe to synchronize locale since it
can be a static object shared among all threads (if it is the default
locale).

I'd like to try to to reproduce the deadlock without the
synchronized(locale), but I noticed (in the discussion archives) that this
was a fix for another thread problem (bugid=47). I don't have access to the
bug database, so I'm hoping someone can explain the issues behind the
change.

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. How does one get access to the bug database. I emailed the webmaster a
few days ago, but haven't heard back.

Jim O'Neill
Ducat Commerce, LLC
jponeil@ibm.net