Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ma...@bgs-ing.de on 2003/01/31 12:44:28 UTC

[users@httpd] Problems with mod_deflate and reverse-proxy

Hi,

I have installed a reverse-proxy with Apache 2.0.44 for a Lotus Domino
Server.
Our customers connect via https over ISDN to the reverse-proxy and the
rproxy via http to the Domino Server.
The Lotus Notes databases are very big and contain lot of Java, therefore I
activated mod_deflate to minimize the data-transfer.
But when I access the sites over https, IE stops loading the site bevor it
is finished.
The databases are optimized for IE; without ssl or without http compression
it works.

I heard that Internet Explorer has problems with http compression and ssl.
Is that right?

Here is the config for mod_deflate:

<Location />
# Insert filter
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
# Netscape 4.x has some problems...
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
# Netscape 4.06-4.08 have some more problems
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip
# MSIE masquerades as Netscape, but it is fine
BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
# Don't compress images
#SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \
#\.(?:gif|jpe?g|png)$ no-gzip dont-vary
# Make sure proxies don't deliver the wrong content
Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary
</Location>

There are other possibilities/ other modules for http compression?
Is there any differenc between?

Can anybody help me?

Thanks
Nicole

Re: [users@httpd] Problems with mod_deflate and reverse-proxy

Posted by Bruno Wolff III <br...@wolff.to>.
On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 12:44:28 +0100,
  mailing@bgs-ing.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed a reverse-proxy with Apache 2.0.44 for a Lotus Domino
> Server.
> Our customers connect via https over ISDN to the reverse-proxy and the
> rproxy via http to the Domino Server.
> The Lotus Notes databases are very big and contain lot of Java, therefore I
> activated mod_deflate to minimize the data-transfer.
> But when I access the sites over https, IE stops loading the site bevor it
> is finished.
> The databases are optimized for IE; without ssl or without http compression
> it works.
>
> I heard that Internet Explorer has problems with http compression and ssl.
> Is that right?

There is a bug in mod_deflate, but I am not sure it applies in this case.
If you use mod_deflate on a request with an internal redirect it tacks
on an extra 20 bytes (a second gzip header) to the response and that seems to
cause problems for IE. I don't know if this would happen when you are using
apache as a reverse proxy. If you want to see if this is likely the cause,
download the compressed file and compare its size to the size in the logfile.
If the size of the downloaded file is 20 bytes more than what the logfile
says it should be then you are probably seeing this problem.

Below is a patch I am using to fix the problem I am seeing. I don't know that
this patch is actually correct, though it works for my purposes. This has
been reported as PR 14451.

*** /usr/local/src/httpd-2.0/mod_deflate.c	Wed Jan 29 13:33:58 2003
--- mod_deflate.c	Thu Jan  2 15:47:39 2003
***************
*** 277,283 ****
          const char *encoding, *accepts;

          /* only work on main request/no subrequests */
!         if (r->main || r->next) {
              ap_remove_output_filter(f);
              return ap_pass_brigade(f->next, bb);
          }

Posted by webmaster <we...@kreorg.hu>.
Hi Nicole
Try mod_gzip
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mod-gzip/mod_gzip.so.gz?download

And please let me know you experience since I am  going to recompile
2.0.44 for that aim

Antal