Posted to user@hivemind.apache.org by xz...@spammotel.com on 2004/04/23 13:36:56 UTC

Errors during initalizing the Registry

Hi all,

I have some problems with the current way the Registry is build:

a)
If there are more contributions to a configuration-point as specified
within the attribute 'occurs',
Hivemind only emits a warning into the log file. Wouldn't it be better
to throw an exception?

b)
If a written 'hivemodule.xml' is wrong an Hivemind can't parse it, only
a log entry is emitted but HiveMind on.
I think that an exception should be throught in this case.

What do you think?

Ciao
   Dieter

Re: Errors during initalizing the Registry

Posted by Johan Lindquist <jo...@kawoo.co.uk>.
There has been a few comments about this on the list previously, but the
common concensus - and someone correct me if i am wrong here :) - seems to
be that as long as there is clear, location specific error information
during the registry construction and that the registry does whatever it
can to recover, throwing exceptions wouldn't add any value ...

In the case you specify, the loaded module is simply ignored by the
registry and it loads everything else it find on the class-path (to it's
best ability) ... If you then request a service defined by the failed
module, you will get an exception though ...

Cheers,

Johan

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:36:56 +0200, <xz...@spammotel.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have some problems with the current way the Registry is build:
>
> a)
> If there are more contributions to a configuration-point as specified
> within the attribute 'occurs',
> Hivemind only emits a warning into the log file. Wouldn't it be better
> to throw an exception?
>
> b)
> If a written 'hivemodule.xml' is wrong an Hivemind can't parse it, only
> a log entry is emitted but HiveMind on.
> I think that an exception should be throught in this case.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Ciao
>    Dieter

you too?