Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Valeriy Podkolzin <vp...@atg.com> on 2001/05/18 00:19:45 UTC

Slide Transactional Manager

Hi,

I'm not familiar with details of a Transactional Manager implementation and
particularly a Distributed TM. I have a few questions. What kind of a
manager is SlideTransactionManager?

I remember the answer regarding several parallel transactions. Can Slide TM
deal with distributed transactions, particularly with several data sources
involved in a process like MOVE?

I see that all implementations of concrete DataStores are derived from
XAResource, it is OK, but I see also a lot of extra methods like
initialize(), reset(), etc. and I wonder which of these methods mandatory
from the core Slide architecture, considering new implementations of
specific object-oriented or file-based repositories?

As a sample, I see that during Domain initialization JDBCDescriptorStore
hits start(), isConnected() many times, not according the number of possible
repositories but rather the number of logical child stores( I don't think
they are supposed to be implemented on different repositories, I 'd rather
think that the content repository is supposed to be implemented on several
databases). It somehow bothers me, maybe, I wrong, this is a usual way it
should work.

Thanks,

Valeriy Podkolzin

Re: Slide Transactional Manager

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> Thanks Remy!
>
> It is more cleare for me now.
>
> The last question. If I make a XAResource derived store implementation
that
> will call by any way a remote database (using RMI, FTP, or, maybe, just
> using "driver, uri", etc.), will it be considered as a simple sample of a
> resource participating in a distributed transaction from JTA point of
view,
> or there are more conceptal things for this kind of distributed
transaction
> and management?

No, it's just a transaction involving two (local) resource managers.
If you interested in DTMs, you can have a look at Tyrex :
http://tyrex.exolab.org

Remy

RE: Slide Transactional Manager

Posted by Valeriy Podkolzin <vp...@atg.com>.
Thanks Remy!

It is more cleare for me now.

The last question. If I make a XAResource derived store implementation that
will call by any way a remote database (using RMI, FTP, or, maybe, just
using "driver, uri", etc.), will it be considered as a simple sample of a
resource participating in a distributed transaction from JTA point of view,
or there are more conceptal things for this kind of distributed transaction
and management?

Regards,

Valeriy Podkolzin

> I'm not familiar with details of a Transactional Manager implementation
and
> particularly a Distributed TM. I have a few questions. What kind of a
> manager is SlideTransactionManager?

It's a TM which is reasonably compliant with JTA and the XA specification.
It implements what Slide needs, and nothing more.

> I remember the answer regarding several parallel transactions. Can Slide
TM
> deal with distributed transactions, particularly with several data sources
> involved in a process like MOVE?

Yes, but it's not a distibuted transaction manager (all the stores are
local).

> I see that all implementations of concrete DataStores are derived from
> XAResource, it is OK, but I see also a lot of extra methods like
> initialize(), reset(), etc. and I wonder which of these methods mandatory
> from the core Slide architecture, considering new implementations of
> specific object-oriented or file-based repositories?
>
> As a sample, I see that during Domain initialization JDBCDescriptorStore
> hits start(), isConnected() many times, not according the number of
possible
> repositories but rather the number of logical child stores( I don't think
> they are supposed to be implemented on different repositories, I 'd rather
> think that the content repository is supposed to be implemented on several
> databases). It somehow bothers me, maybe, I wrong, this is a usual way it
> should work.

isConnected, start and end should be called often, this is normal. However,
start should only be called once for each write operation.

Remy

Re: Slide Transactional Manager

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.