Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com> on 2005/01/08 09:25:33 UTC

Joran not configuring appender

I think the latest changes to the core classes affected appenders/etc.

After commiting AndFilter, I realized I hadn't retrieved the latest CVS changes.  Once I did, the appender config stopped working.

Here's an example config file that should cause events to be displayed on the console, but doesn't.  There's no longer mention of a ConsoleAppender being created, etc.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/" debug="true">
   <appender name="STDOUT" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
      <layout class="org.apache.log4j.SimpleLayout"/>
   </appender>

   <root>
      <level value="debug"/>
      <appender-ref ref="STDOUT"/>
   </root>
</log4j:configuration>

Here's the output:

*** configurationOptionStr=sample2.xml
log4j:INFO Using URL [file:/C:/sample2.xml] for automatic log4j configuration of repository named [default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [org.apache.log4j.helpers.OptionConverter] in repository [default].
Before instantiateByClassName
Before  configurator.doConfigure()
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [org.apache.log4j.joran.util.JoranDocument] in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Returning existing logger [org.apache.log4j.joran.util.JoranDocument] in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Returning existing logger [org.apache.log4j] in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [org.apache.log4j.joran.action.ConfigurationAction] in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [org.apache.log4j.joran.action.AppenderAction] in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [org.apache.log4j.joran.action.LayoutAction] in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [org.apache.log4j.joran.action.RootLoggerAction] in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [org.apache.log4j.joran.action.LevelAction] in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [org.apache.log4j.joran.action.AppenderRefAction] in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Returning existing logger [org.apache.log4j] in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [org.apache.log4j.joran.JoranConfigurator] in repository [default].
log4j:INFO Returning existing logger [org.apache.log4j] in repository [default].
** End of LogManager static initializer
log4j:INFO LogManager.getLogger(firstlogger) called
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [firstlogger] in repository [default].
log4j:INFO LogManager.getLogger(someotherlogger) called
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [someotherlogger] in repository [default].
log4j:INFO LogManager.getLogger(anotherlogger) called
log4j:INFO Creating new logger [anotherlogger] in repository [default].

Re: Joran not configuring appender

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
I puzzled at why our unit tests are not catching this.

At 09:25 AM 1/8/2005, Scott Deboy wrote:
>I think the latest changes to the core classes affected appenders/etc.
>
>After commiting AndFilter, I realized I hadn't retrieved the latest CVS
>changes.  Once I did, the appender config stopped working.
>
>Here's an example config file that should cause events to be displayed on
>the console, but doesn't.  There's no longer mention of a ConsoleAppender
>being created, etc.

[cut]

--
Ceki Gülcü

Re: Joran not configuring appender

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 09:25 AM 1/8/2005, you wrote:
>I think the latest changes to the core classes affected appenders/etc.
>
>After commiting AndFilter, I realized I hadn't retrieved the latest CVS
>changes.  Once I did, the appender config stopped working.

ConsoleAppender had a bug. It should be fixed now.

--
Ceki Gülcü